End of Quarter Chaos

Emily Bekiaris, Staff

Time is ticking, and the end of the first quarter is almost here. Students are all experiencing the same panic of seeing that grades our not up to the Comet or our personal standards. They all are scrambling to finish that assignment that was due a week ago, or trying to redo that paper they got a bad grade on, or, when desperate times call for desperate measures, buttering up teachers to ensure we are in their good graces when it comes to bumping up our grade up that one last percent.  

“I feel stressed at the end of the quarter. When my grades are on the verge– and I know I can get it up– I have to put in more effort than I normally would because I have to do more to get that good grade rather than letting it pass by,” said junior Theresa Schaffer. 

Letting things “pass by” is an issue leading to a much bigger problem, and that is procrastination. Procrastination, for most of us, is our downfall. We keep thinking, “Oh, I’ll do this later,” or “Oh, I’ll finish this at home,” and never get to it.  

“Try your best to not procrastinate on your work, even though we’re all guilty of it sometimes,” said junior Sophia Moore.  

Sometimes it is easier said than done, but if you want to succeed, you need to do better and find that motivation.  

“If you know you’re going to be really busy during the week, and you have a lot of homework or assignments due during the week, do them during the weekend so you don’t get backed up,” advised Shaeffer. 

Don’t allow that pile of pending assignments to accumulate. It is in your best interest to get things done on time– or even early—to avoid stress throughout the quarter. You will feel one-hundred times better if you allot a specific time to do your work beforehand rather than trying to cram everything in last minute. 

Although this is the time to be doing everything you can to try and improve your grades you may come across the thought that there is nothing else you can do. This is the point at which you must stop, reflect, and accept the grade you are being faced with. 

Schaffer believes that, “when it comes to accepting an unsatisfactory grade, you’re going to need that moment of self-pity. Once that moment is up you must tell yourself a bad grade doesn’t define you and trust in your ability to do better when the next quarter comes around.” 

Sure, you may be disappointed in yourself, but, as Moore put it, “You just need to look back and be honest with yourself about what the effort you put in over the quarter. If you were putting in your absolute best effort and only got a B or C, that’s okay. It’s going to suck, yes, but just remember the amount of effort you put in, not necessarily the result you got.” 

Well said, Ms. Moore. Afterall, your best is all you can do. Do not dwell too much on the fact that you did not meet your expectations, even though it may seem difficult at first. If you know you did everything you could have possibly done, then you should on focus on that aspect. All you can do at this point is reflect and learn from the past so, in the future, you can be the Comet scholar you know you are. Good luck to all!