How to High School

Noor Raza, Staff

Over the past three months, the class of 2021 has started to learn the ropes of CHS. The transition from middle school to high school can be challenging for many students, particularly when it involves moving to a different building and losing the familiar routines and long-established social support systems.  

New classmates, rigorous courses, a bigger building, and new expectations can all be points of concern for incoming freshmen.  

Regardless, CHS aims to make things easier for incoming freshmen.  

“I thought I’d get lost but the upper classman helped me find my classes,” freshman Fatimah Al- Hedari confessed.  

She also commented on the size of the school and how it was intimidating at first glance, that’s why it was hard for her to get to her classes. She pointed out, however, that not only were the upper classmen helpful but, the faculty played a big role. 

Another aspect students tend to worry about is meeting new people. A lot of students feel it’s hard to fit in because of their lack of social skills, and it’s obvious that it can be a rough experience for some students. But sometimes, all it takes is a friendly smile and greeting.  

“Most of my friends became my friends because they introduced themselves first. It’s a nice gesture to talk to someone when it’s obvious they don’t know anyone and in my case, I had just moved to Catonsville so I didn’t know anyone at all,” junior Arnitra Randolph explained.  

Randolph moved from Michigan in her freshmen year, and she confessed it was a bit hard to adjust to her new surroundings. Her peers, however, were very friendly, and it made things a whole lot easier concerning the social aspect.  

Another hard part of the high school transition is the length of classes, and the amount of dedication and commitment needed to achieve good grades. Students tend to slack off, more so since it takes longer adjusting to their new routine then them being a “lazy” student.  

“Don’t slack off your freshman year because you’re most definitely going to regret it later on,” junior Sadie Marks exclaimed.  

Marks simply meant to take your freshmen year seriously or else you’ll have to work extra hard to bring your GPA up the next three years if you wish to go to a good college. 

Teachers are also an important part of your high school success. They’re the ones who help you achieve in class and help you become a better student during these four years.  

Psychology teacher Yetta Nowak offers her advice. 

“My advice is to use a planner. Know what you commit to and what homework you have coming due. Try new things, but don’t overcommit,” Ms. Nowak explained. Try new clubs, sports or activities that interest you. There are lots of opportunities at CHS and by participating in extracurricular activities you are meeting people with similar interests to your own.” 

Overall, balance social and academic life because high school goes by very fast; you should enjoy every moment of it, but also stay on task. 

• How to High School

• How to High School

• How to High School

Getting to the Bottom of Crowded Hallways

• How to High School

CHS Got Milk?

• How to High School

CHS Varsity Football Mid-Season Report

• How to High School

Wilde Serves as Temporary AP

• How to High School

Shaping Up Social Media Accounts for College

• How to High School

• How to High School

• How to High School

How to High School