MD Basketball Goes Through Ups and Downs

Cameron McHugh, Staff

If you look at Maryland basketball’s scores and win/loss record this season, they seem to have been having much success so far. While they are currently the #12 team in the nation after beating #11 Ohio State, the team has struggled to put the ball in the basket on a consistent basis and have also struggled to establish a true plan on offense. The team shows flashes of greatness but has had problems keeping up that level of play throughout games. 

Head coach Mark Turgeon’s squad has shot 41% from the field this season, a number good for 275th in the country out of 351 Division-1 schools. The Terps are also shooting a lack-luster 31% from behind the 3-point line, and a below average 73% from the free throw line. This has led to Maryland being down at the half in many games where they should have been running away with a lead. Games against teams like Temple and Harvard have come down to wire, with the team barely scraping away victories in each of those games. 

The season has had some very high points as well, however. When confronted with a very solid Marquette team led by star guard Markus Howard, the Terps were able to play extraordinary defense and hold Howard to just 6 points on the day. Maryland has also had some heroics from senior guard Anthony Cowan Jr., who hit a deep 3-pointer from the Gary Williams signature on the hardwood to tie the game against Illinois with 20 seconds left. Cowan would then go on to hit both game-winning free throws to give the Terps their 10th win of the season.  

Cowan has been averaging 16.7 points per game, 4.1 assists, and 3.8 rebounds, as well as becoming a great leader for the team. Cowan has been a part of 2 NCAA Tournament runs in his 3 years with the team and is looking for his 3rd and final this year. 

Leadership can only go so far, however, and it is necessary to get the job done on the court as well as in the locker room. The squad also took a hit when twin freshmen Makhi and Makhel Mitchell announced that they were leaving the school and entering the NCAA Transfer Portal. Maryland’s bench is now significantly shorter, forcing more players of lesser talent into playing time. 

The Terps next game is the 10th as they travel to Iowa City to take on the Iowa Hawkeyes. 

(Edit: Maryland lost vs Iowa 67-49 after this story was written)