Baltimore College Basketball Preview 2019/20

Nick Lorensen, Staff

College basketball is just about a month away, and Maryland’s teams have quite a bit of buzz.  

Ryan Odom returns to UMBC, to begin his 4th year. They have begun the year with some struggles, with teams backing out of contracts to play (as of mid-October, there is no completed schedule).  

The Retrievers lost top scorer Joe Sherburne to graduation. The 4-year starter holds UMBC records for games played and is 2nd all time in 3 pointers. By seasons end, he became the 1st UMBC DI player to record 1,500 points, 600 rebounds, and 200 assists in a career. 

On the bright side, UMBC returns their top 10 other producers. What held back UMBC last year was injuries, so it would be a plus if the majority of those 10 go injury free. 

For the new players, UMBC brings in the smallest player in D1, Darnell Rogers. The 5’2 Junior College transfer is a former 3-star recruit and Baltimore high school legend. Also, coming in is East Carolina transfer and Serbian national Dimitrije Spasojevic. The big man was a beast in Greenville and will be huge for the depth of the squad.  

On Evergreen’s campus in Baltimore, Loyola brings in some of the best freshman in the country. Coming in are 2 Gold-Medalist Spanish nationals, including the U18 European Championship MVP Santi Aldama. Aldama scored 17 2nd half points in the European championship to boost the Spaniards to their 4th title ever.  

In College Park, the Terrapins are coming in with a lot of hype. A lot of people are calling for their first Elite 8 appearance since 2002 and possibly their first ever Big Ten title. Returning this year for the Terrapins include local boys Darryl Morsell and Jalen (Sticks) Smith. Star guards Anthony Cowan and Anthony Wiggins also return for UMD. The Terps are ranked #9 on NBC Sports Preseason Poll 

Baltimore’s local HBCU’s have a lot of hype as well. Terrapin legend Juan Dixon, is entering his 4th season as Coppin State’s head coach. Dixon led the Eagles to a great 7-9 MEAC record. At Morgan, they are under a new head coach for the first time in 13 years; Kevin Broadus. The former Binghamton coach will try to take the Bears to the tournament for the first time in 10 years. 

Baltimore is getting ready for another actionpacked college basketball season. Which team will make the tournament this year?