UMBC Basketball End of Season Recap

UMBC Basketball End of Season Recap

Nick Lorensen, Staff

UMBC has finished another successful 20-win season but couldn’t make it to the postseason this year. The CIT came knocking, but Coach Odom and his squad decided to not participate. 

Ryan Odom finished his 3rd straight season with 20 wins and 2nd straight trip to the America East Championship. After a mediocre 8-7 start, the Retrievers finished out with a strong 13-6 finish but couldn’t pull out the championship. They finished with the same record as Odom’s first season.  

Leading the Retrievers was graduate senior Joe Sherburne. The twoTtme Academic All-American was named to the America East First Team averaging 13.9 points and 5.6 rebounds. Sherburne set the school records for starts, was the eighth all time in scoring and is the 3rd player in school history with 1000 points, 500 rebounds and 200 assists. 

Also leaving UMBC are 4year starter Nolan Gerrity, JUCO transfer Max Portmann, and walk-on Isaiah Rogers. 

UMBC overcame a boatload of big injuries early on, losing big men Max Curran and Dan Akin for the year with leg injuries. Curran averaged 7.5 points and 5.1 rebounds per game, and Akin averaged 7.4 points and 8 rebounds per game. They’ll both return to big roles next year. 

Freshman RJ Eytle-Rock earned America East Freshman First team awards and started 22 games for the Retrievers. He is the second straight UMBC British player to make All Freshman team. 

The Retrievers have yet to announce their 2019-20 schedule but will visit Towson and Florida Gulf Coast in the non-conference portion. They will continue to play America East opponents. 

The Retrievers should be in fair shape for next year, returning all major contributors but Joe Sherburne. Fellow contenders Stony Brook and Vermont are both losing key members.