2018 College Football Regular Season Recap

Nick Lorensen, Staff

The 2018 college football season is over, and we have another Alabama and Clemson dominated season.  

The Tide dominated through their schedule, outscoring their opponents 623-183. Alabama’s closest battle this year was the SEC Championship against Georgia, and all seemed lost for the Tide once Tua Tagovailoa got injured in the 3rd quarter and the Tide were down 28-14. In came 2017 starter Jalen Hurts, who would then lead the Tide to a great comeback, as the Crimson Tide won their fifth SEC title in 7 years.  

Alabama will play Oklahoma in the national semifinal on December 29 in a matchup between the first-ranked and fourth-ranked teams in the country. Oklahoma had a phenomenal year, finishing 12-1 behind a Heisman campaign led by first year starter and MLB first round draft pick Kyler Murray. Despite their loss to Texas, they still beat everybody on their schedule, avenging their original 48-45 loss to UT in the Red River Rivalry with a 39-27 win against them in the Big 12 Championship game.  

In the other matchup, Clemson will take on Notre Dame. The Tigers dominated through the ACC season and finished second nationally with a 12-0 record. The team is looking for their 3rd national title.  Early on, freshman quarterback Trevor Lawrence took over for star quarterback Kelly Bryant. Lawrence went on to dominate, passing for 2606 yards and 24 touchdowns. Clemson dominated through ACC play, beating their opponents by an average of 35 points.  

This has been a surprise season for Clemson’s opponent, the Notre Dame Fighting Irish. They began their season with ESPN’s College Gameday on their campus for their hyped season-opening matchup with Michigan. The Irish began their undefeated campaign with a decisive 24-17 victory over the Wolverines. After that, the Irish weathered a quarterback switch three games into their season and injuries on their offensive line and secondary.  

In-state school Maryland experienced adversity after the unexpected and preventable death of offensive lineman Jordan McNair. Maryland opened the season 5-3 under Interim Head Coach Matt Canada. However, on October 30th, the Maryland Board of Regents reinstated Head Coach DJ Durkin, who was on administrative leave since August, much to the dismay of players fans, and even Governor Larry Hogan; then, Maryland University President Wallace Loh reversed the decision and fired Durkin, giving Canada full-interim head coach status until the end of the season.  

The Terps then lost their last four, including a heart breaker to 9th-ranked Ohio State, losing 52-51 in overtime after a failed two-point conversion attempt. After missing out on a bowl game with a 5-7 record, the Terps hired Alabama Offensive Coordinator Mike Locksley who sports a 3-31 overall record as a head coach. 

Lastly, Towson had a great season behind Ravens QB Joe Flacco’s brother, Tom Flacco. Flacco had thirty-two touchdowns and eleven interceptions with 3251 yards passing during his first season at Towson. The Tigers came out rolling with a 5-1 record including wins over 2 ranked teams; their only loss being to FBS squad Wake Forest. Towson lost 4 out of their last 5 including a heartbreaker in the first round of the NCAA Tournament to the Duquesne Dukes, 31-10, after leading 10-3 at halftime.