Trying Out for CHS Boys Basketball

Cameron McHugh and Li Chen

Every year, around 50 people tryout for the CHS basketball team, but only a small amount make the cut. Thirteen players will make each team, JV and varsity.  

This year tryouts run from Nov 15-18. The minimum GPA to be able to try out for both the JV and the Varsity basketball team is 2.0 by the end of Quarter One. Each player also needs a recent physical examination to be eligible. 

“I’ve been going to coach classes a lot, but I don’t know if I’ll be able to keep my grades high enough,” said sophomore Bashiri Agyemang. “You need to be smart on and off the court in order to be successful.” 

The coaches of the basketball team this year are Evan Dougherty and Dennis Keihm. For JV coach Evan Doughtery, this will be his second-year coaching basketball at CHS while also being a physical Education teacher. 

Coaches have held basketball workouts since the beginning of October and will continue to do so until the week of tryouts.  

Workouts on Tuesdays and Thursdays consist of weight training from 2:30 pm to 3:30 pm, then conditioning for an hour afterwards with the goal of getting the players in shape. Then on Wednesdays, they conduct open gym from 6:00 pm to approximately 7:45 pm, allowing the coaches to see everyone’s skill level and fit on the team. 

Senior Caleb Owens is a guard who has been on the team for the past three years. 

“If my grades aren’t good, I won’t be able to play, and if I can’t play, I can’t be the leader that I am supposed to be,” said Owens. “In order to be prepared for tryouts, you should constantly work out to stay in the best shape.” 

“The coaches want to see a player who is willing to push themselves and give it all for the team,” he added. 

Soon after tryouts, they will have their first game of the season. As usual, they will have a total of 18 games a season and 2 post-season tournament games. 

“The coaches want hard workers who are willing to play for the team and not just themselves,” said senior Jaylen Jones. “If you just continue to work on your key skills, you will have a good chance to make the team” 

If passion is not shown throughout tryouts and possibly games, time on the team will be short. The coaches need people who are willing to give their all to win and help the team do better than last season. 

“Hit the gym as often as possible and it’ll pay off,” said senior Zion Stanley. “Basketball is an opportunity from the school, so you need to keep your grades up in order to stay eligible.” 

Basketball season is starting soon as lots of past players and new hopefuls prepare for the grind of a new schedule and adjusting to the new head coach. 

Cameron McHugh, Staff

Hi! My name is Cameron McHugh, and I am a sophomore here at Catonsville High! Obviously this is my second year taking journalism, and I am loving it. I...

Li Chen, Writer

Hi, my name is Li Chen, and I'm a sophomore. I like to play basketball and mountain bike as a hobby.

• Trying Out for CHS Boys Basketball

• Trying Out for CHS Boys Basketball

• Trying Out for CHS Boys Basketball

• Trying Out for CHS Boys Basketball

• Trying Out for CHS Boys Basketball

• Trying Out for CHS Boys Basketball

• Trying Out for CHS Boys Basketball

• Trying Out for CHS Boys Basketball

• Trying Out for CHS Boys Basketball

• Trying Out for CHS Boys Basketball

Getting to the Bottom of Crowded Hallways

Trying Out for CHS Boys Basketball