Orioles Looking to the Future

Cameron McHugh, Staff

Looking to the future, the Orioles will have a lot to improve upon. Just like Rome wasn’t built in a day, the Orioles won’t be rebuilt over just one year. It will take some time, but the Birds do have some high-quality prospects who will hopefully develop to become top-level players in the big leagues. 

According to MLB.com, the Orioles have two of the top 100 prospects in the league in Yusniel Diaz (#52) and Ryan Mountcastle (#63). Pitchers DL Hall, Grayson Rodriguez, and Dillon Tate also look to be intriguing parts of the rebuild. 

One of the bright spots of the Orioles abysmal season is the fact that they now have the #1 overall pick in the upcoming 2019 MLB Draft. The Birds will have their pick of players who they hope will be a building block for their future as an organization. Some of the top draft prospects according to perfectgame.org include high school shortstop Bobby Witt Jr., pitchers Nick Lodolo and Charles King, and third baseman Drew Mendoza. 

Witt Jr. seems to be the consensus for #1 pick as he can do all things well. While he has already made a 4-year commitment to the University of Oklahoma, the MLB Draft is not the same as the NFL or NBA Draft as players have a choice after being drafted. Players can sign with the team who drafted them and immediately report to their minor league camps, or decline and play wait a year or two before going pro. 

Free agency also offers very interesting options as well. The Orioles could look to add a veteran pitcher to help teach the young prospects. Some of these pitchers who the Orioles could afford could include Derek Holland, Clay Bucholz, and Anibal Sanchez. 

All three of these men had ERAs less than 3.50 this past season and could provide the clubhouse leadership that the O’s need. Without a leader in the clubhouse, our prospects will be unable to develop to their full potential and blossom into stars in the Major Leagues. 

Bucholz was a former starter for the Boston Red Sox so he will have experience with pitching in the American League East. Bucholz pitched for Boston for 9 years and was very consistent with his ERA for the season always floating around 4.00.  

Both Holland and Sanchez have a decade of major league experiences and could easily help develop our young core of pitchers as well as become a locker room presence.  

Each decision represents a great risk-reward. If the Orioles aren’t 100% sure about who they want to lead their franchise into the future, this coming season and the next few will be miserable for fans and players alike. 

Cameron McHugh, Staff

Hi! My name is Cameron McHugh, and I am a sophomore here at Catonsville High! Obviously this is my second year taking journalism, and I am loving it. I...

• Orioles Looking to the Future

• Orioles Looking to the Future

• Orioles Looking to the Future

• Orioles Looking to the Future

• Orioles Looking to the Future

• Orioles Looking to the Future

• Orioles Looking to the Future

• Orioles Looking to the Future

• Orioles Looking to the Future

• Orioles Looking to the Future

Getting to the Bottom of Crowded Hallways

Orioles Looking to the Future