The Sad State of the Orioles

Cameron McHugh, Staff

The Baltimore Orioles have been the joke of the league throughout this season. The worst record in baseball, every star player except for Adam Jones traded, and a very uncertain future. While the Orioles were able to gain 15 players in return for our stars at the deadline, it is unknown how those players will develop other than proven veteran Jonathon Villar. Fans saw many of their favorites traded during the weeks leading up to the trade deadline including Manny Machado, Jonathon Schoop, and Zach Britton. 

“It was a bad move by the GM to trade away Manny Machado,” sophomore Mathias Abebe said. “He was the key to the franchise, and now he’s gone.” 

The Orioles finished with a record of 47-115 and were 61 games out of first place. They were eliminated from playoff contention way back on August 22 in a blowout loss against the Cleveland Indians 9-0. A month later, here we are at the end of the season with nothing else left to do except hope for a better future. 

“It’s hard to watch any games and still be interested,” said sophomore Adam Gosden.  

Gosden has been an Orioles fan for most of his life and says he is “very upset” with how the team has been preforming as of late. 

“They’re so bad it’s almost painful to watch.” 

Now that the season has ended, the focus will now shift to the next five seasons for the Orioles as they look to retool. Several current players are expected to be a part of this rebuild including outfielder Trey Mancini, outfielder Cedric Mullins, and second baseman Jonathon Villar. The team also has many different prospects who could be interesting parts of the future. 

“I don’t even know anyone on the team anymore!” said sophomore Logan Draper. “I only know Adam Jones, and he’s playing right field!” 

Outfielder Yusniel Diaz, third baseman Ryan Mountcastle, and pitcher Grayson Rodriguez are among the Orioles top prospects who could make an impact in the coming years. 

“Even though they are bad now, I’m hopeful for the future,” said sophomore Adam Turner. “Other teams have gone this route, and I hope that the Orioles become one of the more successful teams in the major leagues once again.” 

Diaz was acquired from the Los Angeles Dodgers as a part of the Manny Machado deal and is known as an elite contact hitter with great potential to begin hitting for power. Ryan Mountcastle, however, is an all-around player who can do almost all things well. The only setback for Mountcastle would be his below average speed. While he is not the slowest of all players, he is not super swift on his feet, but he makes up for it with his other traits. 

Gina Palermo is a science teacher at CHS and also works for the Orioles. 

“Fans are still coming out, but most are wishing it was a better season.” Palermo said, “It isn’t as fun as it has been in the past. The Orioles just don’t have the talent to be successful.” 

Both fans and employees alike seem to be optimistic about the future, even though they know it will be a long and painful road back to the top.

• The Sad State of the Orioles

• The Sad State of the Orioles

• The Sad State of the Orioles

Getting to the Bottom of Crowded Hallways

• The Sad State of the Orioles

CHS Got Milk?

• The Sad State of the Orioles

CHS Varsity Football Mid-Season Report

• The Sad State of the Orioles

Wilde Serves as Temporary AP

• The Sad State of the Orioles

Shaping Up Social Media Accounts for College

• The Sad State of the Orioles

• The Sad State of the Orioles

• The Sad State of the Orioles

The Sad State of the Orioles