Candidates for New O’s Manager

Candidates for New O’s Manager

Adam Carroll, Staff

The Orioles have officially moved on from longtime manager Buck Showalter. This isn’t surprising considering that the O’s had the worst record in the Majors at 47-115 and that there is a rebuilding period looming. However, many fans are sad to see him go because he brought the O’s from the cellar of the AL to the ALCS in 2014.  

There will be a big hunt for someone to fill his shoes and make the O’s great again. Here are some potential candidates to become the new Orioles manager.  

Paul Molitor  

Although he had a disappointing 78-84 season that resulted in his firing from the Minnesota Twins, he was named the AL Manager of the Year last year, so he obviously has a lot of potential. However, other teams looking for new skippers will have him on their radar due to his past success, so it won’t be easy to get him.  

Ron Roenicke  

He is currently the benching coach for the Boston Red Sox and also managed the Milwaukee Brewers from 2011 to 2015, guiding them to the NLCS in 2011. He has over 25 years of coaching experience, which would be a big plus if the O’s were to get his services. However, just like Molitor, Roenicke will be on the radar of many teams due to his credentials.  

Hensley Meulens  

Being on the San Francisco Giants for the last 8 years as hitting coach and later as bench coach, he helped the team get three World Series championships. Given the fact that he was one of the candidates for becoming the New York Yankees manager last year, it’s clear that he is interested in moving up to a bigger role as a coach.  

Mike Scioscia  

He just stepped down as manager of the Los Angeles Angels after 19 years with the club. During his tenure with them, he won the World Series in 2002, as well as the AL Manager of the Year award twice in 2002 and 2009. He also helped develop the talent of perennial AL MVP candidate Mike Trout. His experience would be his biggest upside if he got hired by the O’s.  

Mike Bordick  

He currently works as an analyst for the Orioles TV station, MASN, and he said he would want to be a manager eventually. He played for the O’s during their 1983 World Series run, and he’s been popular with fans. He also expressed interest in taking the job, so it is definitely a possibility. It would be interesting to see a fan favorite take the reigns as manager. 

Adam Carroll, Staff

Hi, my name's Adam, and I'm currently a junior. This is my second year writing for the Comet and, in my spare time, I love keeping up with sports  and...

• Candidates for New O’s Manager

Valentine’s Day Clichés: No Way or OK?

• Candidates for New O’s Manager

Stay Immune to Senioritis

• Candidates for New O’s Manager

Spider Man Moves into ‘Spider Verse’

• Candidates for New O’s Manager

Have Fun in the Dead of Winter

• Candidates for New O’s Manager

Forgotten History: The Integration of CHS

• Candidates for New O’s Manager

Let’s Talk About Periods (For Once)

• Candidates for New O’s Manager

Red Dead Redemption 2: A Sequel Worth Waiting For

• Candidates for New O’s Manager

Day In the Life of T.O

• Candidates for New O’s Manager

Cell Phones Distract, Teachers Say

• Candidates for New O’s Manager

Winter Wonder Week: A Second Spirit Week!

Candidates for New O’s Manager