UMBC Soccer Preview 2018-19

UMBC Soccer Preview 2018-19

UMBC Opening Weekend per Ian Feldmann

UMBC Opening Weekend per Ian Feldmann "The Retriever"

Nick Lorensen, Staff

Entering his 27th season as UMBC head soccer coach, Pete Caringi has had a ton of success, reaching five NCAA tournaments and coaching seven MLS players under his tenure. This year, however, he comes in with a young but nationally experienced roster. After starting 6-2-2 and being ranked as high as #16 in last year’s Coaches Poll, the Retrievers struggled down the stretch finishing with an overall record of 7-6-5. They had some bright spots during the season, including a win over West Virginia at home, drawing with #1 Maryland at home, and beating America East powerhouse New Hampshire 1-0. 

To start off this season, the Retrievers played against Temple, winning the game 1-0 with the only goal being from Jackson Becher at the 78th minute. This performance led Becher to the first of two America East Rookie of the Week Awards within the first month of the season. 

“It’s a great feeling and really shows how well we work together as a team,” said Becher about being honored with these awards. Becher said, UMBC would then go out and make a stellar comeback against Big Ten opponent Rutgers, winning 3-2.  

Sophomore junior college transfer Cesare Marconi from Italy had 2 goals and an assist in this match leading the way for the big upset for the Retrievers. He and Becher have been lock and key together so far this year, setting each other with goals.  

“I think this year we can do really important things; our team is competitive. We don’t have any weaknesses, and everybody has the will to win the championship!” Marconi said. The Retrievers then convincingly beat College of Charleston at home and Navy on the road, picking up their only loss to Nationally Ranked Air Force 2-0.  

After not starting the first four games, freshman goalie and Maryland native Quantrell Jones started September 8 at Navy getting a clean sheet in his first match, not allowing any goals. In 2017, he helped the U17 USA Men’s Soccer team to the Under 17 World Cup semifinals. Also, star players Cesare Marconi and Jackson Becher have so far looked like lock and key on the pitch, as both have set each other up for goals. Marconi is the squads cross and corner specialist and Becher is more of the goal scorer. Becher had great things to say about Marconi. 

“He is a very technically gifted player, very dangerous going forward and we have different style which I think makes it easier to work off each other, and when we do it usually leads to something good,” he explained. 

The America East (as of 9/13/18) has two members in UMass Lowell (#15) and Vermont (#24) ranked in the Coaches Poll along with New Hampshire getting votes. Currently in the RPI (as of 9/13/18) the America East is ranked the 10th best conference out of 24.  

Zac McCord of The Retriever stated “The America East is a power soccer conference right now.”  They host all 3 voted conference teams in a row, along with a top 15 Villanova squad later in October. 

Can UMBC make it back to the College Cup like in 2014? Only time will tell. Head out to Retriever Soccer Park this year and see some great soccer action. Go Dawgs!

• UMBC Soccer Preview 2018-19

What is the Child Development Class?

• UMBC Soccer Preview 2018-19

CHS Prepares for ‘Test of All Tests’

• UMBC Soccer Preview 2018-19

• UMBC Soccer Preview 2018-19

• UMBC Soccer Preview 2018-19

• UMBC Soccer Preview 2018-19

• UMBC Soccer Preview 2018-19

• UMBC Soccer Preview 2018-19

• UMBC Soccer Preview 2018-19

• UMBC Soccer Preview 2018-19

UMBC Soccer Preview 2018-19