Ravens New Additions Could Have Great Impact

Cameron McHugh, Staff

With the 32nd pick in the 2018 NFL Draft, the Baltimore Ravens selected Louisville quarterback Lamar Jackson. As a Cardinal, Jackson won the Heisman Trophy in 2016. In his three-year college career, Jackson threw for over 9000 yards and 69 touchdowns while also adding over 4000 rushing yards and 50 rushing touchdowns. 

Jackson represents a dual-threat quarterback who has not been seen since Michael Vick. Jackson is also by far the first quarterback in the Ravens 22-year history who has the ability to run out of the pocket and make big plays happen. 

The fan reception to the pick has been nothing but positive. The most excitement that has grown around Jackson is the possibility of a duo between him and tight end Hayden Hurst. The Ravens selected Hurst seven picks before Lamar Jackson to fill one of their biggest needs coming into the draft. 

Hurst attended the University of South Carolina for three years and was regarded as one of the top Tight Ends in the 2018 Draft Class. The 6-foot 5-inch Hurst tallied 1200 receiving yards on a South Carolina team that was not one of the best in the country. He was also in the hardest conference in the world as he played in the SEC with Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, and LSU. 

“Hurst will definitely be a great tight end. He has very nice fundamentals for as big as he is” said Ravens fan Bardan Kafle. Kafle is a freshman at CHS and has been a Ravens fan since he moved to Baltimore in 2006. “Once he develops chemistry with Joe Flacco or Lamar Jackson, he’ll be great.” 

Besides Hurst, Lamar Jackson will have multiple other talented targets to throw to in the upcoming years. This offseason, the Ravens acquired veteran receivers Michael Crabtree and John Brown. Crabtree caught 58 passes last season totaling 618 yards and 8 touchdowns, while John Brown caught 21 passes for 299 yards and 3 touchdowns. 

Along with the addition of veterans, Baltimore added a few rookie receivers as well. Jaleel Scott from New Mexico State and UCLA’s Jordan Lasley. Both caught 70 passes and had over 1,000 receiving yards. 

“Crabtree will hopefully encourage Joe Flacco to play at a high level again,” said Freshman Mathias Abebe, “John Brown will also be a great deep-threat if he stays healthy. Lasley & Scott will be able to develop alongside Lamar in preseason and training camp and form a great union.” 

Lamar Jackson has great potential to become a great NFL quarterback after Joe Flacco’s career comes to an end. The Ravens fanbase should be very optimistic about the future and what could happen in Baltimore in the future. 

While Flacco is obviously not ecstatic about the team taking Jackson, he still respects the Ravens’ decision. After not speaking with Jackson for about a month following the draft, the two seemed to share a laugh before the first day of Offseason Training Activities. The Ravens coaches have been very impressed by Jackson so far, and so have the fans. 

Freshman Adam Gosden cannot wait to see Lamar Jackson on the field.  

“I honestly think that Jackson can become a future great with incredible potential,” he said. “With the help of NFL-level coaches and a quality offensive line, he will develop in a great situation here in Baltimore.” 

Within the next few years, and maybe even next year, Lamar Jackson will take over the reins and hopefully fulfill his promise of “getting a Super Bowl out of me. Believe that.” The Ravens seem to believe in Jackson and the rest of the new additions as well. 

Cameron McHugh, Staff

Hi! My name is Cameron McHugh, and I am a sophomore here at Catonsville High! Obviously this is my second year taking journalism, and I am loving it. I...

• Ravens New Additions Could Have Great Impact