Orioles Top Prospect Watch

Ben Hall, Staff

The Orioles have not played good baseball lately. They are currently one of the worst team in baseball. Before the end of the season, they will be expected to call up some of their top prospects. 

They have already pulled up a few of the prospects that were on the MLB 2018 Preseason Top Prospect Watch. Chance Sisco and Anthony Santander were on the Opening Day roster.  

Sisco has struggled this season. He has a .226 batting average with one homerun and is not an everyday player. Him and Caleb Joseph have split time behind the plate this season. Sisco has 72 at bats in 29 games played.  

Santander has struggled as well. He has a .198 batting average with one homerun as well. Due to injuries in the outfield, Santander was playing a good amount. He has 101 at bats in 33 games played. But just recently he was optioned to Double-A. 

Pitcher Pedro Araujo started the season on the Major League roster as well. He has not played well either. He has a 1-3 record with a 6.86 ERA. He has pitched in 21.0 innings and they were all relief appearances. He recently got a loss on May 5 to the Oakland A’s. He came into the game in the 12th inning. After a one out single, Khris Davis hit a two-run walk off homerun off Araujo to give the A’s a 2-0 win and Araujo his 3rd loss. 

Pitcher David Hess was pulled up on May 12 to start the first game of a double header against the Tampa Bay Rays. In the first inning he gave up 3 runs on four hits in the first inning including a home run to Matt Duffy.  But after that he pitched great. He pitched 6 innings, gave up 3 earned runs, and earned himself his first Major League win. But the next day Hess was sent back down to Triple-A. 

Pitcher Tanner Scott has also been pulled up and sent down a few times this season. He currently is on the Major League roster. This season he has a 3.38 ERA in 8 innings pitched. 

A few prospects that have not been pulled up yet are Austin Hays, Ryan Mountcastle, Hunter Harvey, D.L. Hall, Cedric Mullins, DJ Stewart, and Alex Wells.  

Although he is the Orioles #1 prospect, Austin Hays has struggled this season. He is a power hitting right fielder. He is hitting .213 with the Bowie Baysox at Double-A. In 150 at bats he has 32 hits and 40 strikeouts. He has 11 extra base hits with 3 doubles, 2 triples, and 6 homeruns. He is expected to be pulled up at some point this season. 

Ryan Mountcastle is listed as the Orioles #2 prospect. Mountcastle is a third baseman who can hit the ball well. He is hitting .429 with the Bowie Baysox at Double-A. In 21 at bats he has 9 hits and 0 strikeouts. He has 2 extra base hits with 2 doubles but limited at bats because he started off the season on the DL with a hairline fracture in his right hand. He isn’t expected to be called up to the Major League roster until 2019, but if he stays healthy and keeps performing well he could be pulled up by the end of this season.  

Hunter Harvey is listed as the Orioles #3 prospect. Harvey is a right-handed pitcher. This season Harvey is 1-1 record and a 4.62 ERA with the Bowie Baysox. He is expected to be called up in 2019. Next year he could help the Orioles bad starting rotation.  

• Orioles Top Prospect Watch

• Orioles Top Prospect Watch

Getting to the Bottom of Crowded Hallways

• Orioles Top Prospect Watch

CHS Got Milk?

• Orioles Top Prospect Watch

CHS Varsity Football Mid-Season Report

• Orioles Top Prospect Watch

Wilde Serves as Temporary AP

• Orioles Top Prospect Watch

Shaping Up Social Media Accounts for College

• Orioles Top Prospect Watch

• Orioles Top Prospect Watch

• Orioles Top Prospect Watch

• Orioles Top Prospect Watch

Orioles Top Prospect Watch