Washington Wizards 2017-18 Season In Review

Adam Carroll and Ben Hall

The Wizards season came to an end on Friday when they lost Game 6 of the Eastern Conference Quarterfinals. It was a step backward from last year, when the Wizards narrowly missed out on making the third round of the playoffs instead of a first round exit this year. 

The Wizards had some struggles, most notably losing John Wall for half the season due to a knee injury. When he was healthy however, Wall was productive, averaging 19.4 points per game and 9.6 assists per game. 

Wall’s sidekick, Bradley Beal, played in all 82 games and averaged 22.6 points a game. The Polish hammer, Marcin Gortat, finished the regular season with an average of 8.4 points per game and 7.6 rebounds per game. Otto Porter averaged 14.7 points per game and 6.4 rebounds per game. And finally, Markieff Morris averaged 11.5 points per game and 5.6 rebounds per game. 

There were also some locker room issues between Wall and Gortat. During Wall’s time out, Gortat sent out a tweet emphasizing the word team after a win. Wall took exception and thought the tweet was taking a shot at him. However, the two were able to settle the issue before the situation got worse. 

The Wizards finished with a regular season record of 43-39, good for the 8th seed in the Eastern Conference. With 8 games left in the regular season, however, they were in the 4th seed before losing 6 of the last 8 games, which caused the slide into the final seed. 

As previously mentioned, they faced the Toronto Raptors in the first round. For the first two games, they had to cross the border and face the #1 seeded team. 

They lost Game 1 by a score 114-106. John Wall led the Wizards in scoring with 23 points.  

The Wizards lost Game 2 by a score of 130-119. Throughout the game, the Wizards could not stop the Raptors from scoring. Wall led the team in scoring again with 29 points. But the teams other star player struggled. Bradley Beal finished the game with 9 points which is far below his season average.  

The Wizards quickly turned things around when the series shifted to the nation’s capital. 

They beat the Raptors 122-103 in Game 3. Beal’s 21-point first half helped spark the Wizards over the Raptors. Beal and Wall led the team in scoring with 28 points each.  

In Game 4, the Wizards late 14-4 run helped them in a come from behind victory to beat the Raptors 106-98.  

When the series swung back over to Canada, the Wizards made things tough for the Raptors, but in the end, the home team ultimately pulled away, winning 108-98. Once again, Wall led the team in scoring with 26 points. This put the series at 3-2. 

Game 6 for the Wizards was win or go home. For the first three quarters, the Wizards were very successful and went into the fourth quarter with a 5-point lead. But in the fourth quarter, the Wizards struggle and the Raptors took advantage outscoring the Wizards 29-14. The final score was 102-92 and the Wizards were sent home.     

It was a disappointing end to a rollercoaster season, and the Wizards will look to rebound and hopefully improve their performance next season this upcoming fall. 

Adam Carroll, Staff

Hi, my name's Adam, and I'm currently a junior. This is my second year writing for the Comet and, in my spare time, I love keeping up with sports  and...

Ben Hall, Staff

Hi I am Ben Hall. I am in the class of 2019 at Catonsville High. This is my second year in on The Comet staff. My main interest to write about sports.

• Washington Wizards 2017-18 Season In Review

Have Fun in the Dead of Winter

Forgotten History: The Integration of CHS

Let’s Talk About Periods (For Once)

Red Dead Redemption 2: A Sequel Worth Waiting For

Day In the Life of T.O

Cell Phones Distract, Teachers Say

Winter Wonder Week: A Second Spirit Week!