From CHS to Major Leagues

Ben Hall, Staff

Current Tampa Bay Rays pitcher Adam Kolarek graduated from CHS in 2007. At Catonsville Kolarek played a huge role for the team and improved each year on varsity. He was a three-year pitcher and outfielder for the Comets. As a junior, he made First-Team All-Metro as an outfielder. As a senior he made First-Team All-Metro as a pitcher with a .397 batting average and a 1.05 earned run average. 

While at CHS Kolarek played all three seasons under coach Rich Hambor.  

“He was successful for all three years. He clearly got better each season, but as a sophomore he already had the work ethic and willingness to learn that made him even greater as a junior and senior,” coach Hambor said. 

Kolarek was also leader for the team as well.  

“He was absolutely a leader, by his actions. He was not very vocal, but he has a great sense of humor works very hard and is a very kind and good person,” coach Hambor said. 

According to coach Hambor, he was also a model high school baseball player. 

Kolarek achieved many awards while attending CHS. He was named First Team All-County, First Team All-Metro, and was selected to play in the Brooks Robinson All-Star Games. He also got to play for Team Maryland which traveled to Oklahoma and played in a tournament against other states.  

After high school, He attended the University of Maryland and was successful there as well. As a freshman, he finished the season with a 4.26 ERA and 24 strikeouts in 25.1 innings pitched.  

As a sophomore, he finished the season with a 4.68 ERA. He started 4 games and made 22 appearances from the bullpen that season and had a 2-1 record.  

As a junior, he was 1-4 with a 6.06 ERA in 5 starts and 12 relief appearances. 

In the 2010 MLB Draft, Adam Kolarek was drafted 332nd in the 11th round to New York Mets. 

“I was really excited. Growing up I had always wanted to be drafted. I knew it wouldn’t be easy to do. And it would be different playing baseball every single day,” Kolarek said.    

He was assigned to play for the Kingsport Mets where he had a 3.86 ERA and 15 strikeouts in 5 games before being called up to Short-Season Single-A. 

Kolarek pitched in 17 games in Short-Season Single-A for the Brooklyn Cyclones. He had a 2-1 record with 30 strikeouts and a 2.89 ERA. 

In 2011, he started the season at Advanced Single-A where he struggled a bit. He had a 7.36 ERA and an 0-1 in 7.1 innings pitched.  

He was sent down to Low Single-A. He stayed there for the rest of the 2011 season. He finished the year with a 7-0 record and a 2.22 ERA with 55 strikeouts in 44 games. 

Kolarek started the 2012 season at Double-A. In 6 games, Kolarek had a 2-0 record and a 5.68 ERA with 8 strikeouts before being sent back down to Advanced Single-A where he was very successful. Although he had a 1-3 record, he had a 2.37 ERA and 70 strikeouts. 

In 2013, he started the season at Triple-A for the Las Vegas 51’s. He only pitched for Triple-A in two games where he had a 11.25 ERA with only one strikeout. He was sent down to Double-A. 

He spent three seasons in Double-A for the Binghamton Mets. He had a 3.52 ERA in 186.1 innings pitched with 167 strikeouts.  

After 6 seasons in the Mets organization, Kolarek was released on October 6, 2015. 

Seventeen days later Kolarek was signed by the Orioles and assigned to Double-A to pitch for the Bowie Baysox. But Kolarek was not with the Orioles for long. 

On December 10, 2015, the Rays claimed Kolarek off waivers from the Baysox. 

Kolarek was assigned to Double-A to play for the Montgomery Biscuits. Throughout the 2016 season he was moved from Double-A to Triple-A a few times.  

In Double-A for the Montgomery Biscuits, Kolarek had a 3-2 record with a 3.32 ERA and 17 strikeouts.  

In Triple-A for the Durham Bulls, Kolarek had an 0-2 record with a 3.05 ERA and 46 strikeouts.  

After the 2016 season, Kolarek elected free agency and signed a minor league contract with the Atlanta Braves. 

After being assigned to play Triple-A for the Gwinnett Braves, he was released before even getting a chance to pitch for them.  

Three days later, Kolarek was once again signed to a minor league contract by the Tampa Bay Rays. He was assigned to the Durham Bulls.  

With the Bulls, Kolarek was 3-4 with a 1.65 ERA and 46 strikeouts. 

On June 28, 2017, Kolarek’s contract was selected by the Tampa Bay Rays. 

“It was very special. It was also perfect timing. After the Pittsburgh series we traveled to Baltimore where I got to pitch in front of my family and friends,” Kolarek said.   

This made Kolarek the second player ever from Catonsville High School to be called up to the Major Leagues. The first was 4-time World Series champion Jeff Nelson who graduated from Catonsville in 1984. 

He made his Major League debut on June 29th. He pitched 1.1 innings with 1 strikeout and 0 runs. 

On July 1st, Kolarek got to pitch in front of his family and friends. He pitched 1 inning and gave up 0 runs. 

With the Tampa Bay Rays, Kolarek had a 1-0 record with a 6.48 ERA and 4 strikeouts. 

On July 29, he was sent back down to Triple-A for three days before being called back up. But without making an appearance, Kolarek was sent right back down.  

Kolarek has been successful at Triple-A during the 2018 season. For the Durham Bulls, Kolarek is 1-0 with a 1.54 ERA and 9 strikeouts.  

If he keeps pitching the way he has, he will be pulled up at some point this season to help a struggling Tampa Bay Rays team.  

Ben Hall, Staff

Hi I am Ben Hall. I am in the class of 2019 at Catonsville High. This is my second year in on The Comet staff. My main interest to write about sports.

• From CHS to Major Leagues

• From CHS to Major Leagues

• From CHS to Major Leagues

• From CHS to Major Leagues

• From CHS to Major Leagues

• From CHS to Major Leagues

• From CHS to Major Leagues

• From CHS to Major Leagues

• From CHS to Major Leagues

• From CHS to Major Leagues

Getting to the Bottom of Crowded Hallways

From CHS to Major Leagues