In Sports, Practice Does Make (Near) Perfect

james_schaffer

Nate Henry, Staff

Everyone who watches basketball knows the line from Allen Iverson where he says”We’re talking about practice! We’re talking about practice… We ain’t talking about the game! We’re talking about practice, man! When you come to the arena, and you see me play… You see me play, don’t you?” 

Well, maybe he was wrong. Practice is one of the most important parts of playing a sport and you should practice as much as you can to become a better player. While playing in rec leagues when you were younger, one of the main things your coach told you was that practice makes perfect. Many people brush this off as Allen Iverson did. They are very short-minded and don’t see what practice does for you. It helps you hone in on skills so you can show off in games what you learned from your practice.  

The high school teams at CHS practice every day after school for about 2 hours and maybe on Saturdays if that is what the coach decides. This is a lot of time for the players to improve their game and also get into shape. Many students love it and give their practices the attention and dedication they deserve, but some students don’t believe practice every day is really going to help them to get better maybe because of bad coaching or just a bad attitude about the game. 

JV lacrosse coach Jordan Hockstein praised practice to his players as he put up a quote from Ben Franklin: “By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.” He says he put up this quote to “enforce what I say all the time that practice is the key to success.” 

JV lacrosse player Grant Evenson says practice is one of if not the most important part of sport progression–which is definitely true. His teammate Evan Rodgers agrees, stating that “practice is hard and stressful but everyday makes a difference.” 

On the other hand, some students find practice very important.  

“I look forward to my practices every day and use them to progress as much as possible,” soccer and lacrosse player Wyatt Gentner said. 

JV soccer player Conner Green explained, “I think practices can be boring but they’re necessary to do well” He also stated that his team worked hardest in practice; it showed the most in games and led to their county win.  

Whether you enjoy practice or not, it is the most important part of progression in sports and is necessary to take you to the next level of your adventure. 

According to Derek Jeter, “There may be people that have more talent than you, but there’s no excuse for anyone to work harder than you.” 

Nate Henry, Staff

Hello, I'm Nate Henry. I play lacrosse and basketball. I enjoy playing sports and hanging out with my friends.

• In Sports, Practice Does Make (Near) Perfect