Recap Ravens’ 2017 Season 

Ellie Dugan, Staff

In honor of the approaching Super Bowl, which will feature AFC Champions the New England Patriots and NFC Champions the Philadelphia Eagles, it seems appropriate to reflect on Ravens football and consider what could have been, for Baltimore, the last game in a great season. 

December 31st saw the end of the Ravens’ season after a 31-27 loss to the Cincinnati Bengals.   This was, to many, the conclusion of what had been a disappointing season of Baltimore football.   

The defense this year was largely disappointing. Sure, the Ravens ranked 12th overall in the league, but when considering additions like that of Marlon Humphrey to Dean Pees’ side of the ball, their 7th overall rank in 2016, and the substandard lineup of quarterbacks they faced in 2017, Baltimore fans expected more. 

Offensively, the Ravens finished 27th. Some might point out, and accurately so, that the Ravens did finish 9th overall in scoring.  Those people must also consider the Ravens’ NFL-best 34 turnovers. 

To their credit, the Ravens were the 10th most efficient red zone offense, scoring touchdowns 57.69% of the time versus in 2016 when they executed on just 52.17% of their red zone visits. Part of the credit here goes to Sam Koch and an excellent punt team that regularly tilted the battle of field position in favor of the Ravens. 

Overall, this latest football season was not very remarkable, but, to the team’s credit, had been an improvement from previous seasons. 

The Ravens finished the season with a respectable, but somewhat disappointing record of 9-7, which largely strayed from their field-dominating goals. 

When the season began, it seemed as if the Ravens had mapped out a two-part plan: 

-Fix the defense in 2017. 

-Fix the offense in 2018. 

It hadn’t worked out that way. Both sides still need help, and Baltimore fans hope to see significant improvements next season. 

• Recap Ravens’ 2017 Season 

• Recap Ravens’ 2017 Season 

We R Generation Z

• Recap Ravens’ 2017 Season 

Avengers ‘Infinity War’: Is It Really That Good?

• Recap Ravens’ 2017 Season 

How to Slam those AP Exams!

• Recap Ravens’ 2017 Season 

A Student’s Guide to Water Bottles

• Recap Ravens’ 2017 Season 

• Recap Ravens’ 2017 Season 

• Recap Ravens’ 2017 Season 

Girls Basketball Goes For Repeat

• Recap Ravens’ 2017 Season 

Juuling: A Complete Overview

• Recap Ravens’ 2017 Season 

Snow Days Pile Up

Recap Ravens’ 2017 Season