High School Sports Should Practice on Sundays

Ben Hall, Staff

Many high school sports coaches would love to be able to practice on Sundays, but the Maryland Public Secondary Schools Athletic Association states that member schools may not play or practice on Sundays.  

Some sports may not want to practice on Sundays, but there are some sports that would love to if they had the opportunity.  

Sunday practice would be a huge benefit to some teams. That Is an extra day to go over plays and get good hard reps in. 

Practicing on Sundays would be great for kids who want to play sports at the collegiate level. College teams usually practice seven times a week for 2-6 hours a day when they don’t have games. Sometimes they even have practice twice a day. To play at a college level, you need to be well-conditioned and ready for the long and hard practices 

Being able to practice on Sundays would be great for some coaches as well. Coach Teron Owens of the boys’ basketball team would love to be able to practice on Sundays.  

“It would help us prepare for the games during the week and continue in the excellence of preparation,” Coach Owens said.  

Weekend practices are better anyways. For basketball you can get two hours in the gym and two hours in the weight rooms. Being able to practice daily would keep you in great shape.  

Although Owens would love to practice on Sundays, some families may not like it. Most families attend church on Sundays, and they would not want practice to interfere with church. They also could be worried about their children practicing or playing every day of the week. 

“Practicing on Sundays would be difficult because everyone has a different church time so it would affect everyone’s religious practices,” junior David Hale explained. 

But when asked if practicing on Sundays would have an impact on him attending his church, Coach Owens said, “We would just practice after.”  

For a high school sports team to be good and efficient, the team would need as much practice as they could get. 

CHS athletic director James Fitzpatrick would not stop a coach if the opportunity was available. But he thinks allowing practicing on Sundays would not have an impact on our sports programs. 

“Most of our teams are already practicing or playing six days a week. I think it is a good idea to give the athletes one day off,” Fitz said.  

He doesn’t think this rule is a disadvantage to CHS athletes because the other public schools can’t practice on Sundays either.       

Some teams don’t even practice on Saturdays. Being allowed to practice on Sundays would not even affect them. They would not care for the rule. Yes, this rule would not have an impact on many teams. But if practicing on Sundays was available, more teams would probably start doing it.  

For this to happen, other public schools in Maryland would have to show that they wanted it. 

Mr. Fitzpatrick said, “I do not think the rule will ever change.”

Ben Hall, Staff

Hi I am Ben Hall. I am in the class of 2019 at Catonsville High. This is my second year in on The Comet staff. My main interest to write about sports.

• High School Sports Should Practice on Sundays

Getting to the Bottom of Crowded Hallways