Ravens MUST Focus on Offense, Too

Jack Corcoran, Staff

As the Baltimore Ravens embark on yet another early offseason, many frustrated fans are calling for owner Steve Bisciotti to fire longtime GM Ozzie Newsome and head coach John Harbaugh after the team missed the playoffs four out of the past five seasons. However, at 9-7, the Ravens are not that far away from contending. Getting fresh voices on offense and defense is a necessity, and drafting or signing players to help with the pass rush, offensive line, and passing game. Getting some secondary depth, as well, is vital for the Ravens to return to the postseason for only the second time in the past five seasons.

During his season-ending press conference, Harbaugh made the decision to keep embattled offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg; however he was also able to keep running game coordinator Greg Roman, who engineered a great rushing attack with Alex Collins and Buck Allen. Also, the Ravens hired Bengals wide receiver coach James Urban as their new quarterbacks coach. Urban will offer key insight into one of the Ravens’ biggest rivals as well as helping Flacco get on the same page with his receivers, especially having worked with one of football’s best in AJ Green.

Another baffling decision, based mainly on continuity, was the Ravens promoting Don Martindale to defensive coordinator. He has been a DC before, coordinating the league’s worst unit in the 2010 Broncos defense. They gave up nearly 30 points per game, ten more than the year before. During his five year run with the Ravens, he has stalled the development of defensive cornerstone CJ Mosley, particularly when it comes to dropping him back into coverage.

Now comes the offseason. Last year, GM Ozzie Newsome took a defense-first approach, signing free agents like Tony Jefferson and Brandon Carr while drafting the likes of Marlon Humphrey in the first round. This season, with the potential of $20 million in cap space as well as the draft, the Ravens MUST focus on the offense. While the offensive line was good, starting multiple backups for multiple games is not a sustainable model, and they must sign and draft players to provide more depth.

However, the most important role is wide receiver. While there is some talent there, Jeremy Maclin has been underwhelming and Mike Wallace is 31, and Breshad Perriman can now be considered a bust. Signing receivers like Jarvis Landry and potentially re-signing Mike Wallace can be vital on the outside, which could help prevent Joe Flacco from focusing on checkdown throws. Drafting Calvin Ridley or Derrius Guice would give the offense a true home run threat in both the running and/or passing game.

If the Ravens are going to continue to refuse to rebuild and try to contend, they need to stop focusing on an antiquated retooling of their roster of ignoring the offense. They can’t just have an elite defense, they need to have a good offense too.

• Ravens MUST Focus on Offense, Too

• Ravens MUST Focus on Offense, Too

• Ravens MUST Focus on Offense, Too

• Ravens MUST Focus on Offense, Too

• Ravens MUST Focus on Offense, Too

We R Generation Z

• Ravens MUST Focus on Offense, Too

Avengers ‘Infinity War’: Is It Really That Good?

• Ravens MUST Focus on Offense, Too

How to Slam those AP Exams!

• Ravens MUST Focus on Offense, Too

A Student’s Guide to Water Bottles

• Ravens MUST Focus on Offense, Too

• Ravens MUST Focus on Offense, Too

Ravens MUST Focus on Offense, Too