Why I Will Not Be Upset If Manny Machado Leaves Baltimore

Cameron McHugh, Staff

In the first round of the 2010 MLB Draft, the Baltimore Orioles selected Shortstop Manny Machado with the 3rd overall pick. Machado was drafted directly out of high school and immediately lived up to his expectations, becaming one of the top prospects in the world. On August 9th, 2012, just 2 years after being drafted, Machado made his Major League debut. Orioles fans were so excited to see their new young prospect shine and grow up before their eyes. 

Manny has steadily improved every year as he grew into his prime and evolved into one of baseball’s newest superstars. Machado is one of the new young stars exciting baseball fans everywhere. He has risen to the ranks of Bryce Harper and Mike Trout who have already shown great promise on and off the field. The star players in today’s game are more than just players, they are members of their communities. On the field, they represent the people in their neighborhoods and their whole fanbase. Players give their all on the field and try to provide the best experience for the fans. 

The fans are the real money producers in sports. When players perform well, they gain fans. They pay for the tickets and merchandise and that also helps the player get paid during contract talks. Machado is due for a huge payday at the end of the 2018 season, and it is rumored that he may become the highest payed player in baseball history. If he leaves for all of that money, he will absolutely devastate the fanbase who has grown to love Machado for his play on the field. Machado’s clutch plays in the field and at the plate energize the crowd and help the team win. He is definitely a star on the diamond.  

Machado has been a star on the field… when he gives effort. He has had this excitement around him since he made the majors that few players have. His attitude and body language show that he knows how good he is and how he knows he can get away with anything. On a probable close play at first base, Machado will casually jog down the baseline as if he doesn’t care. The average groundball is just a useless play to him. When throwing the ball from 3rd to 1st, Machado takes his is time and makes the play closer than it has to be. He is not the type of baseball player that should represent the Baltimore community. Machado cares less about hustling for the ball and would rather make a risky play that will make the highlight reel. 

Machado also has some problems controlling his anger. On multiple occasions he has been ejected and even suspended for his on the field antics. On two consecutive nights in 2014, Machado was the main instigator in fights with the Oakland A’s. Machado also fought former Royals pitcher Yordano Ventura when Ventura hit Machado in the back with a pitch. Machado has too much of an ego to be a classy player in Major League Baseball. He is no doubt one of the most talented players in Orioles history, but he acts like he is the greatest ever.  

During this year’s winter meetings, Manny Machado was reported to have been shopped around by the Orioles to find some starting pitchers. Machado’s contract expires at the end of 2018, and it is not expected that he will re-sign with the Orioles. The Orioles’ best option right now is to trade Machado to another team and get some compensation. If Machado just walks away, the Orioles’ terrible farm system will be even more crippled, and the current young stars will more than likely leave the team. 

Machado, Johnathon Schoop, and Adam Jones have a very special bond with each other, and their friendship is a thing of beauty. It is a shame that Machado is going to give that on field and dugout friendship just so he could get more many. Manny definitely deserves the money, but he should think about his friendships instead of money. The Orioles should trade Machado and get something in return before it is too late, and he leaves without any compensation. 

When Machado inevitably leaves either this year or next, the Orioles will be left with hardly any games in the win column for the next few years, but the team will prosper in the future as our next young stars rise through the minor leagues and carry us to victory. Machado is not going to be in the future of the Orioles, and the team should get some young prospects for him. 

Cameron McHugh, Staff

Hi! My name is Cameron McHugh, and I am a sophomore here at Catonsville High! Obviously this is my second year taking journalism, and I am loving it. I...

• Why I Will Not Be Upset If Manny Machado Leaves Baltimore