Maryland Terrapins Basketball Preview

Ben Hall, Staff

Although they made the NCAA tournament last year, the Maryland Terrapins were upset in the first round by Xavier 76-65. Maryland was the 6th seed and Xavier was the 11th seed. This was Maryland’s third straight appearance in the NCAA tournament. 

But for the 2017-2018 season the Terrapins will be without the starting point guard of the three previous seasons Melo Trimble. The team also lost Damonte Dodd, L.G. Gill, Micah Thomas, Jaylen Brantley, and Kent Auslander. 

The teams record last year was 24-9 and in conference was 12-6. The head coach is Mark Turgeon, who is heading into his 7th season with the Terps.  

This season he has brought in three main players who are expected to play key roles for the team. Darryl Morsell who is from Baltimore and attended Mount St. Joe and Bruno Fernando who attended IMG academy in Florida are both recruits. But Sean Obi is a transfer from Duke University.  

Maryland has a pretty hard schedule. Maryland plays at home against Butler and Bucknell who is one of the best Mid Major teams. Maryland plays in the Emerald Coast Classic where they will play St. Bonaventure and TCU/New Mexico depending on if they win or not. They also play at Syracuse which is a very hard environment to play in. Their Big Ten is schedule is hard as well. They play Michigan State and Purdue twice. Both Michigan State and Purdue are highly ranked teams.  

In all three years in the Big Ten Conference, Maryland has finished top three. But most people are expecting them to be down this year. 

On www.si.com, Maryland was predicted to be a 7 seed in the 2018 NCAA Tournament.  They are also expected to come in 5th place in the Big Ten Conference.  

Although Melo Trimble left, they noted “The Terrapins are well-equipped to recreate the scoring and playmaking Melo Trimble leaves behind.” Anthony Cowan played a large role at point guard last year and is ready to take on an even bigger role as a leader.    

They also talked about Justin Jackson and Kevin Huerter who are expected to take on bigger roles this year as well. “…Kevin Huerter buried nearly 40% of his 104 three-point attempts in conference play. Justin Jackson is already on NBA scouts’ radars, and he was one of the toughest cuts from our preseason all-conference team.” 

I think Maryland will end up coming in second place in the Big Ten behind Michigan State. I think they will end up being a four seed in the NCAA Tournament. Early in the season they will probably struggle because the team is young. But later in the season they will be a much stronger team.  

For Maryland to succeed this year, they will need these players to be good leaders.

Ben Hall, Staff

Hi I am Ben Hall. I am in the class of 2019 at Catonsville High. This is my second year in on The Comet staff. My main interest to write about sports.

• Maryland Terrapins Basketball Preview

• Maryland Terrapins Basketball Preview

• Maryland Terrapins Basketball Preview

• Maryland Terrapins Basketball Preview

• Maryland Terrapins Basketball Preview

• Maryland Terrapins Basketball Preview

• Maryland Terrapins Basketball Preview

• Maryland Terrapins Basketball Preview

• Maryland Terrapins Basketball Preview

• Maryland Terrapins Basketball Preview

Getting to the Bottom of Crowded Hallways

Maryland Terrapins Basketball Preview