Maryland Football Season in Review

Cameron McHugh, Staff

Coming into the 2017-18 season, Maryland football was projected to be a pretty mediocre team without any hope or chance of winning the conference championship. Although the team didn’t have the highest hopes, sophomore quarterback Tyrell Pigrome was expected to play a large part in Maryland’s season. 

In the first game of the year, Maryland traveled down to Austin, Texas to play the #23 Longhorns. The team jumped out to a commanding lead when they suffered a devastating blow. Pigrome was tackled at the end of a QB run and tore his ACL. Pigrome was ruled out for the rest of the year, and freshman Kasim Hill had to replace him.  

Three weeks later, Maryland found themselves in the same position as Hill went down with a torn ACL as well. The injury added salt to the wound as it occurred during a 38-10 loss to UCF. Now that the top two quarterbacks had been injured, it was all up to sophomore Max Bortenschlager to take the reins and try to salvage a broken season. 

Junior runningback Ty Johnson continued his success from last season, where he rushed for over 1,000 yards and 6 touchdowns. This year, Johnson has rushed for over 800 yards and electrified the crowd with a kick return for a touchdown against Ohio State. Johnson has been one of the lone bright spots on a team that has been very disappointing this year. 

Wide receiver DJ Moore has also shown flashes that he could produce at the next level. Moore caught for nearly 1,000 yards this season as well as eight touchdowns. He had to take on most of the burden after the multiple quarterback injuries and showed the country his ability to adapt to any situation. Moore’s name very well may be called in the upcoming draft if he decides to leave one year early.  

The Terps defense has been lackluster this season as they have allowed 34.5 points a game. While the injuries have really hurt them on the opposite side of the ball, their depth has let them down. There has been no end to the scoring when the opponents have the ball this season. 

Maryland will sadly come up short of any bowl games this year. Head coach DJ Durkin may be on the hot seat this season and be fired once this season concludes. Durkin is a defensive-minded coach who has failed on defense. He should not come back next season if Maryland hopes to win in the near future.  

• Maryland Football Season in Review

Expectations for the Last Jedi

• Maryland Football Season in Review

Crazy Candy Cane Flavors Take Over Christmas

• Maryland Football Season in Review

Preview & Predictions for Star Wars Episode 8: The Last Jedi

• Maryland Football Season in Review

Alum Visit for 3rd Annual Career Day

• Maryland Football Season in Review

The Journey with Braces

• Maryland Football Season in Review

Best Places to Eat on Frederick Road

• Maryland Football Season in Review

How to Do Tgiving Vegan-Style

• Maryland Football Season in Review

Spirit Week 2017 Recap

• Maryland Football Season in Review

Comets Fall to Kenwood in Homecoming Match-Up

• Maryland Football Season in Review

Mixed Farmhouse Greens Review

Maryland Football Season in Review