Comet Football 2017 Season Review

Ben Hall, Staff

The Comets season did not go as planned for the players. The team finished with a 1-9 record with their only win against Lansdowne. They finished 11th place in the Baltimore County III Football Standings which was second to last. The Comets were coached by Rich Hambor. This was Coach Hambor’s 14th season as the head coach of the Catonsville football team. 

This season was not an improvement from the season before where they had a 3-6 record. The team has been going on decline the past couple of years. In 2015, the team was 7-3 and almost made the state 4A playoffs.  

Although the Comets had a very experienced team, they didn’t work well together on the field.  

Their only win this year was against Lansdowne, who they beat 29-16 at home. Lansdowne still finished ahead of them in standings. After the Lansdowne game, the Comets went on an 8 game losing streak.  

Catonsville struggled on both sides of the ball throughout the season.  

Offensively they scored double digits only twice. The team scored 93 points overall during the season. 93 is a very low number for high school football.  

Defensively the team allowed 290 points the whole season. This was the most points allowed in the Baltimore County III Football Standings.  

Throughout the season Catonsville had many problems with injuries. Almost every week the Comets were missing multiple starters. The Comets starting quarterback, Davonta Holland, missed 6 games but returned for the final game of the season. This injury hurt the Comets badly. Holland was the most experienced quarter back on the team. He was a senior and played on varsity last year. 

The Comets played only one game out of conference against Chesapeake (AA) which they lost 41-0. They played 9 games in conference.  

Most of the Comets games were close going into half time but they didn’t come out with the same intensity in the second half. Against Kenwood, Catonsville was losing 8-7 at halftime but ended up losing 30-7. Against Dundalk, Catonsville was losing 6-0 at halftime and ended up losing 33-7. It seemed like the Comets came out tired in the second half of every game.  

Nothing was very easy for the Comets. The Comets had a pretty tough schedule. They played Milford Mill, Chesapeake (AA), Perry Hall, and Franklin. All of these teams made the state playoffs. Milford was a #1 seed. Franklin and Chesapeake (AA) were #2 seeds. Perry Hall was a #4 seed.  

All but three teams the Comets played had above .500 records. Kenwood, Dulaney, and Lansdowne were all under .500.  

The Comets had 24 seniors on their team. Losing all these players will hurt the team. But Catonsville JV football was pretty good. The Comets varsity will need some of the players from JV to step up next season. 

• Comet Football 2017 Season Review

Expectations for the Last Jedi

• Comet Football 2017 Season Review

Crazy Candy Cane Flavors Take Over Christmas

• Comet Football 2017 Season Review

Preview & Predictions for Star Wars Episode 8: The Last Jedi

• Comet Football 2017 Season Review

Alum Visit for 3rd Annual Career Day

• Comet Football 2017 Season Review

The Journey with Braces

• Comet Football 2017 Season Review

Best Places to Eat on Frederick Road

• Comet Football 2017 Season Review

How to Do Tgiving Vegan-Style

• Comet Football 2017 Season Review

Spirit Week 2017 Recap

• Comet Football 2017 Season Review

Comets Fall to Kenwood in Homecoming Match-Up

• Comet Football 2017 Season Review

Mixed Farmhouse Greens Review

Comet Football 2017 Season Review