The Dangers of Football

Cameron McHugh, Staff

Football is one of the most popular sports in America. It is also one of the most controversial, and, recent research shows, one of the most dangerous. More and more former players and their families are voicing their opinions and concerns about the game. 

In a study by the National Center for Biotechnology Information, 177 out of the 202 former players studied showed symptoms of CTE. This study also included 111 former NFL players and only one of them didn’t show symptoms of CTE. 

The NFL Player’s Concussion Pamphlet states that CTE causes mood changes, visions changes, memory loss, and confusion among others. Concussions have caused families to split because former some football players have taken their own lives.  

In just the 2016 NFL Season alone, 244 concussions were reported. Although this was a decrease from 2015, when there were 275 concussions, it is still a very large number of NFL players who were victims of concussions.  

Along with concussions, other bodily injuries are very common among football players.  The ACL, MCL, and PCL ligaments in the knee are the most frequent injuries. The speed at which the game is played is a large factor in the injuries that occur. These are world class athletes pushing their bodies to the limit for a game. 

What is true for professionals is also true for high school players. 

Junior varsity running back Collin Smith was recently injured and his season was cut short.  

“I wasn’t really that upset when I got injured. I was just disappointed in myself,” Smith said. “I’m just ready for next year when I can play again.” 

Varsity strong safety Omar Alleyne has also been injured multiple times playing high school football.  

“I sprained my ankle in my sophomore year,” said Alleyne. “My injuries have limited my mobility on the field, but I just played through it.” 

Varsity player Darren White has been injured many times in his high school career, causing him to rethink playing the game.  

“I’ve been injured so many times, sometimes I just stop and think about going on,” White explained. “I have sat out a few games and it really takes a toll on me.” 

These injuries have caused players and their families to rethink playing the game or stop playing all together. The long-term effects of playing the game outweigh the positives. Even if you play the game for a few years, you are still at risk of impacting the rest of your life

• The Dangers of Football

Tgiving Dinner: Home vs. Going Out

• The Dangers of Football

Spirit Week 2017 Recap

• The Dangers of Football

Comets Fall to Kenwood in Homecoming Match-Up

• The Dangers of Football

Mixed Farmhouse Greens Review

• The Dangers of Football

Top 10 Costume Ideas for Hijabis

• The Dangers of Football

Spirit Week Traditions, Rules an Annual Concern

• The Dangers of Football

High Schoolers and Their Lack of Sleep

• The Dangers of Football

New CHS Fall Play: ‘The Diary of Anne Frank’

• The Dangers of Football

Go Home Freshmen: Tradition or Torment?

• The Dangers of Football

Top Ten Halloween Costumes for 2017

The Dangers of Football