Comets Struggle in Loss to Milford

Ben Hall, Staff

The Comets headed into their 8th game of the season against Milford Mill with a 1-6 record. The Comets lost 35-0 to Parkville the week before. 

Heading into the game Catonsville only had three days of fully padded practice. They had film day on Monday and a light walk through on Friday. 

Catonsville needed to prepare well for this game. Some players were unpleased with practice on Wednesday. The Comets needed to be efficient all the time they got during practice.  

“We have a good chance if we play better than we have,” defensive and and wide receiver Evan Cunningham said. 

He felt the game would be a challenge. Milford Mill beat Franklin last week. Franklin was top five in the state rankings. Franklin beat Catonsville 52-7.  

Cunningham also noted that Milford runs the ball a lot. He also stated that their defensive players are very quick and they notice plays quickly. But when the offense needs a lot of yards to gain a first down they will leave the middle of the field open. 

The Comets starting quarterback, Davonta Holland, suffered a concussion in the loss and could not play. Comets have a few options to use at quarterback.  

With a backup quarterback starting, this game on the road will be a tough one. 

The Comets were missing two other key players as well. Dallas Evans and Parker Douala were both out with injury. Both of these players are key on both sides of the ball. 

Injuries have hurt the Comets all season. The offensive line has had a couple injuries causing people who don’t play as much to take on bigger roles.   

Catonsville looked good on the first play on defense. They tackled Milford’s running back for a loss. Then they forced an incompletion.  

But Milford converted on third down. Then they drove down the field and scored a touchdown. This put the game at 6-0. After failing to get the first down, Catonsville was forced to punt.  

Milford was around the Comets 30-yardline when they threw up a jump ball and it was intercepted by the Comets in the end zone.  

With the Comets offense not being able to do much, Milford was taking advantage. Milford scored 3 straight touchdowns giving them a 28-0 lead. 

Catonsville was in Milford’s territory. After a couple of big gains, the Comets looked to score. But with 7 minutes to go in the 2nd quarter Milford caught and returned an 80-yard interception for a touchdown. This touchdown gave them a 36-0 lead.  

Two minutes after the Comets got the ball back, they were forced to punt it away.  The punt set Milford up with great field position. After two long runs, Milford scored again.  

Milford now had a 43-0 lead with 4 minutes to go in the 2nd quarter. The Comets needed a score to stay in the game. 

With less than two minutes to go in the 2nd quarter, the Comets punted again. Milford drove down the field with little time on the clock and scored on a ten-yard touchdown pass.  

This touchdown sent Milford to half time with a 51-0 lead over the Comets.  

After Milford set themselves up with great field position from their punt return, Milford scored on another rushing touchdown. This pushed the score to 58-0. 

Looking for their first touchdown, Catonsville was in Milford territory. But Milford forced an interception. This gave them the ball near midfield. 

After a penalty, Milford rushed for a 65-yard touchdown. This touchdown gave Milford a 65-0 lead late in the third quarter.  

Catonsville got the ball at their own 35-yard line. Catonsville drove down the field and converted on a 1-yard touchdown run. This was the Comets first score of the game. This put the score at 65-7. 

Milford got the ball back with 2 minutes to go on their own 37-yard line. Milford lined up in victory formation.  

The final score was 65-7. This loss puts the Comets with a 1-7 record with only two games left in the season. 

The Comets next game will be Homecoming on October 27 against Kenwood.

• Comets Struggle in Loss to Milford

Tgiving Dinner: Home vs. Going Out

• Comets Struggle in Loss to Milford

Spirit Week 2017 Recap

• Comets Struggle in Loss to Milford

Comets Fall to Kenwood in Homecoming Match-Up

• Comets Struggle in Loss to Milford

Mixed Farmhouse Greens Review

• Comets Struggle in Loss to Milford

Top 10 Costume Ideas for Hijabis

• Comets Struggle in Loss to Milford

Spirit Week Traditions, Rules an Annual Concern

• Comets Struggle in Loss to Milford

High Schoolers and Their Lack of Sleep

• Comets Struggle in Loss to Milford

New CHS Fall Play: ‘The Diary of Anne Frank’

• Comets Struggle in Loss to Milford

Go Home Freshmen: Tradition or Torment?

• Comets Struggle in Loss to Milford

Top Ten Halloween Costumes for 2017

Comets Struggle in Loss to Milford