Comets Football Defeats Lansdowne

Ben Hall

Heading into their second game of the season at home against rival Lansdowne, Catonsville looked to pick up their first win of the season. The game was the Ravens Rise game of the week.  

Catonsville had a lot to prove going into the game.  

“Everyone was telling me we would lose but I was just ignoring them,” starting wide receiver Javon Williams said.  

Williams scored on a thirteen-yard reception in the first quarter of Friday night’s game. Williams noted that the game was a must win game. This was also Catonsville’s first real home game. 

Catonsville got on the board first with a 33-yard field goal by Andrew Sybert. Two plays later, as Lansdowne tried to strike back, the Comets recovered a fumble. 

The Comets were set up with great field position. Then came the Williams 13-yard touchdown pass. This put the Comets with a 10-0 lead going into the second quarter.  

After penalties took two interceptions away from Lansdowne, Catonsville scored again. This touchdown put Catonsville up 16-0. 

Nearing the end of the half, Lansdowne was around mid-field when Nelson Williams, Javon Williams brother, intercepted a pass and returned it 57 yards for another Comets touchdown. This gave Catonsville the 23-0 lead at halftime.  

Catonsville went into the locker room with lots of energy and momentum.  

“I told the team we had to stay focused,” starting wide receiver and safety Dallas Evans, who recovered a fumble and had a 27-yard run which helped set them up for the first score of the game. He thought he could’ve played better but was pleased with how the Comets played.  

As Lansdowne continued to talk trash throughout the second half, Evans told his teammates “Keep quiet, we know we will be successful.” 

But the game was not over for Lansdowne. A few minutes in to the third quarter, Lansdowne scored their first points on a rushing touchdown. Lansdowne converted the two-point conversion making it a 15-point game.  

Catonsville drove down the field and put themselves in field goal range. The 29-yard field goal was no good. This sent the game into the fourth quarter still with a score of 23-8.  

After Catonsville stopped Lansdowne on fourth down, Catonsville drove down the field and scored on a 3-yard running play. This score put the Comets with a 21-point lead. 

Late in the fourth quarter, Lansdowne scored on a 37-yard pass. Lansdowne converted on the 2-point conversion. This made it a 13-point game. 

Lansdowne’s onside kick attempt failed. This secured the win for the Comets, giving them a 29-16 win over Lansdowne.  

This was a huge win for the Comets. Not only was it their first win of the year but they beat their rival. This also silenced all the people at school who were talking down on them. 

After the game, there was lots of excitement in the locker room.  

“It was a great feeling celebrating with my teammates in the locker room!” Evans said.  

Evans was happy about the Lansdowne game but wanted to look forward to the next game. He wants them to bring the same energy into the next game.  

Ben Hall, Staff

Hi I am Ben Hall. I am in the class of 2019 at Catonsville High. This is my second year in on The Comet staff. My main interest to write about sports.

• Comets Football Defeats Lansdowne

• Comets Football Defeats Lansdowne

• Comets Football Defeats Lansdowne

• Comets Football Defeats Lansdowne

• Comets Football Defeats Lansdowne

• Comets Football Defeats Lansdowne

• Comets Football Defeats Lansdowne

• Comets Football Defeats Lansdowne

• Comets Football Defeats Lansdowne

• Comets Football Defeats Lansdowne

Getting to the Bottom of Crowded Hallways

Comets Football Defeats Lansdowne