The Tragedy of the Washington Capitals

The Capitals slowly skate through the hand shake line in a silent Verizon Center in a way they know all too well. They must cope once again with a second round exit to the Pittsburg Penguins.

Patrick Brennan, Staff

The Caps have been in the NHL since 1974, and have only one Stanley Cup finals to show for it. To make it even worse, they have made the playoffs  27 times, but have lost 11 times in the second round. This is only made worse by the fact that the Penguins have knocked the Caps out of the playoffs 10 times, while they returned the favor to the Penguins only once in 1994–o the Capitals always have a deep fear of the birds of prey.

The Capitals once again boasted an outstanding regular season for the second straight year at 55-19, with one of the best goaltenders in the league and future hall-of-famer Alexzander Ovechkin leading the offense. The problem is that offense gets you to the playoffs, but when you get to the playoffs, defense matters, too. This the Caps don’t have; they are just average with the rest of the league.  This is why there are constant meltdowns in second rounds when the team faces better defenses and better offenses–which equals less goals and more goals allowed.

The Capitals’ biggest tragedy has to be the fact that free agency will most likely cripple the team this upcoming year, with Justin Williams, T.J Oshie, and Kevin Shattenkirk being all big time players wanting big time money. This will make the Capitals choose among the three, and all hope the few players they sign turn out better than the players they let go. The team decided to go for the cup, and it did not happen; now their window of opportunity is closing, and soon they will once again enter the long years of the rebuilding process. The last time a full rebuild happened back in 2007, the team went 28-40-14. They will now have to look to the future like other terrible teams such as the Phoenix Coyotes, Carolina Hurricanes, and Vancouver Canucks.

Now that the Caps are near the end of their prime, it is time for them to find out just how many of their fans will be willing to stick with a struggling franchise. This might end up being the biggest tragedy of all,  the lack of fan support. This happens to a lot of poor southern NHL teams.  The future is closing in and the beginning of the end is starting, with the Tragedy unfolding in front of our eyes.

• The Tragedy of the Washington Capitals

New CHS Fall Play: ‘The Diary of Anne Frank’

Go Home Freshmen: Tradition or Torment?

Top Ten Halloween Costumes for 2017

‘American Horror Story: Cult’ Review

No Spring Break?!

CHS Musicians Represent in Europe on AMA Gold Tour

Get a Head Start through Child Development

Features

Opinions

The Tragedy of the Washington Capitals