Baseball Shows We Aren’t Post-Racial Yet

Jack Corcoran, Staff

When the Orioles traveled up to Fenway to play the Red Sox for a four-game series, controversy was expected because of the Manny Machado incident—during an earlier game, Machado accidentally spiked second baseman Dustin Pedroia when Machado slid into second base.

When the two teams met again, this time in Fenway, the Machado incident still wasn’t forgotten. Red Sox pitcher Chris Sale and Orioles pitcher Kevin Gausman were accused to trying to throw balls at players, with Sale getting a warning and Gausman an ejection. However things escalated. O’s center fielder Adam Jones was targeted. However, now the issue turned to one of racism, not revenge. Boston fans called Jones the N-word and even threw a bag of peanuts at him.This led to lots of shock and anger, with the mayor of Boston apologizing via Twitter and in the second game of the series only 24 hours later, and almost the entire crowd at Fenway Park giving standing ovations for Jones every time he came up to bat in subsequent games.

The thing is though, all the apologizing after the fact did absolutely nothing. The people at Fenway and of the greater Boston area need to realize that the city’s complicated history of racism isn’t in the past, and instead of slapping a wet blanket on the issue, they should try to exact real change.

This isn’t the first time Adam Jones has been the subject of race-related taunts, and he’s not only African-American player of any sport to share this experience. Many people have also pointed out the fact that the city of Boston, including the Red Sox, has had a complicated history with the topic of race. The Red Sox were the last team in the league to integrate a black player onto their team. Even Yankees pitcher C.C. Sabathia, one of baseball’s 62 black baseball players said, “When you go to Boston, expect it,” in reference to the racist comments. So if this has happened before, it will happen again. All that clapping does is pour water onto a grease fire. It will explode eventually.

The most disgusting thing about it is that in our supposed post-racial society, especially in the era of political correctness, that this is allowed to happen. The MLB has done nothing about this hot-button issue for years, with them saying that they will do something about it eventually, but they have never actually changed the rules inside of their ballparks. There are still angry and drunk fans ruining the experience that the league markets as family-friendly.

And racism in ballparks won’t get better until it is addressed in the “real” world. Things seem to be going backward, not forward.

President Donald Trump, his strategists, and his supporters all along the campaign trail often used outdated and racist terminology when it came to describing multiple minorities, and all that happened was people just dismissed it as if it were a joke or not of consequence. It’s not. Using words like the N-word or other pejorative descriptions of any racial group always are

offensive. Yet it seems that it is more permissible to use certain words like the N-word in today’s world since the recent presidential campaign.

The word isn’t meant to be a joke, and saying it shouldn’t be without its consequences. The gestures in Boston, while well-intentioned, won’t fix it, and are part of a larger problem. All we are doing is slapping on a new coat of paint. It’s not just baseball and it’s not just Boston. We have to start at the foundations of our society, acknowledge our demons, and really try to make America a post-racial society.

• Baseball Shows We Aren’t Post-Racial Yet

New CHS Fall Play: ‘The Diary of Anne Frank’

Go Home Freshmen: Tradition or Torment?

Top Ten Halloween Costumes for 2017

‘American Horror Story: Cult’ Review

No Spring Break?!

CHS Musicians Represent in Europe on AMA Gold Tour

Get a Head Start through Child Development

Features

Opinions