Spring Sports Strive for States

Emma Meacham

Now that spring sports are here, everyone is getting excited. Catonsville’s sport teams are starting off their seasons and trying to win big.

“We’re going to have a great season and hopefully we can make it to the State Championships,”  freshman Kolby Weedon, who plays for girls varsity lacrosse, explained.

During the spring season, junior varsity teams try to earn a  good record to compete in the County Championships. Meanwhile, the varsity teams all come together at the end of the season and compete for Regionals. If they compete well in the Regional Championships, they advance to the State Championships.

“I would love to make it to States; there are very good teams, but I think we could definitely have a chance,” sophomore Erin Kreis, a varsity softball player, remarked.

During the spring season, CHS field teams at the varsity and junior varsity level in girls and boys lacrosse, track, softball, baseball, and tennis.  There is also an Allied Softball. Most of these teams practice every day for 2 hours afterschool, the only times they don’t practice are gamedays and inclement weather.

“We have to practice and put in work every day if we want to get better,” said sophomore Astrid Jenson, goalie on Girls JV Lacrosse team.

Not only are the athletes excited, but the fans are super excited, too.

“It was very exciting news when our basketball team won States. It brought our school together and it was very fun, so I’m hoping that one of our spring sports can do the same,” freshman Melissa Tolton stated.

The coach’s main goal of the season is to win, hopefully at the county or state level.

“My girls have had an amazing season so far. Unfortunately, they will not be able to compete in counties [because they have lost too many games at this point to qualify], but I couldn’t be more proud of them,” stated JV girls lacrosse coach Lisa Nelson.

Often times, Varsity teams will get players from JV to play with them after the JV season is over.

“I think we may be able to win states. We are very good, and I am extremely grateful that coach decided to pull me up,”  stated sophomore Amber Stephen, who was recently moved up to play with the Varsity lacrosse team.

As spring season winds down, and the bigger competition begins, CHS wishes the best of luck to all of the spring sport teams on their way to states.

“All of our spring sport teams have been very successful this season. We wish the best of luck to our teams as they make their way to states, and everyone is very excited to see the outcome of their hard work throughout the season,” said principal Matt Ames.

• Spring Sports Strive for States

• Spring Sports Strive for States

• Spring Sports Strive for States

• Spring Sports Strive for States

• Spring Sports Strive for States

• Spring Sports Strive for States

• Spring Sports Strive for States

• Spring Sports Strive for States

• Spring Sports Strive for States

• Spring Sports Strive for States

Spring Sports Strive for States