Favorite Childhood Trends Of The Decade

Caroline Bryant, Staff

At CHS, we all look at each other as just teenagers trying to get through high school. It’s crazy to imagine that by the end of the next decade, some of us will be married, have a child, or have a house.

We might relive the “roaring 20s,” see those flying cars everyone keeps talking about, or finally get a free college tuition. While we ponder on the unknown, we’re reminded by all the memories of the last 10 years.

For seniors, 2010 started off for them as a third grader, while juniors were in second grade; freshman were the babies of elementary school.

Many trends have come and gone since our childhood days. Music, in particular, has evolved, transitioning from basic pop to modern pop, or even rap.

“I remember listening to that song, Dynamite, on repeat,” junior Olivia Shepherd said. “I was a huge Justin Bieber fan; I had his CDs and posters all over my walls. I still love my throwbacks, but I definitely listen to newer artists.”

For some, however, their childhood favorites are still popular in the music industry.

“The first time I was in Taylor Swift was when I was in my dance class at Turning Point,” Claire O’ Donnell, junior, said. “I’m still a big fan of her old and new music. I went to her concert with a bunch of my friends before sophomore year.”

For others, they just replay the old, unforgettable jams.

Viva La Vida, by Cold Play, still goes hard,” junior Bella Dongarra said. “I still listen to all the old Disney movie and Disney channel songs sometimes, like Calling All the Monsters.”

Despite their different music preferences, there was one thing the girls could all agree on: the change in fashion trends.

“Every girl in elementary school would tie their shirts up into a bun in the back,” Dongarra said. “But my favorite thing I would wear had to be my sweatshirt with the big Under Armor logo on the front.”

Like Dongarra, several others wore that same sweatshirt every day. If you looked closely, everyone had matching Silly Bandz on the sleeve, too.

“I used to wear tons and tons of silly bands underneath my sleeve because I liked all the little shape marks they left behind,” Shepherd said. “I’d keep adding more until my arm would turn purple.”

A similar trend that became popular in 2014 was Rainbow Loom. Instead of purchasing pre-made bracelets, the kit would come with hundreds of colorful rubber bands and a plastic weaving tool to make your own, customizable bracelets.

“They were super fun to make when I was in fourth and fifth grade,” O’Donnell said. “I was able to make a lot of the cool, detailed designs that others couldn’t do, but they were way more time consuming then the regular ones.”

While reminiscing on these moments, it’s sad to realize that kids today will never experience everything we grew up with. There’ll be no Silly Bandz, no Rainbow Loom, not even the good version of Disney; they’ll all grow up with their own memories. But, once they reach 2030, they’ll be stuck in the same place we are in today: wishing they could go back to the good old days.