Finding Out Santa Isn’t Real

Julia Engles, Staff

Most children who celebrate Christmas have grown up with the mythical character Santa Claus, who travels around the world on his reindeer drawn sleigh delivering toys on Christmas Eve. It’s safe to say that high schoolers have been exposed to the harsh reality that this magical man doesn’t exist.

CHS students reminisced over how how they came to learn the bitter truth about the man in red.

“I don’t really remember,” senior Katie Hawrylak shared. She followed up by saying, “I think my dad just started to buy me presents and ask me what I wanted.”

In that case, it seems her father just decided to let her figure the secret out on her own.

“I was at daycare in elementary school and another kid told me he doesn’t exist. I didn’t believe them at first, but then I went home and looked it up and realized it was true,” senior Fletcher Oakes remembered.

It seems most children discover the truth about Santa Claus at a young age. So, why is it that parents started the tradition of Santa? Why wouldn’t they just give the children gifts from themselves and leave it at that?

While “Santa Claus” isn’t real, there was a monk born around 280 A.D. named St. Nicolas, who was admired for his generosity and kindness. His reputation as protector of sailors and children resulted in him remaining a seemingly permanent cultural figure.

Interestingly enough, some parents opt to never spread the myth of Santa Claus to their children.

When asked about how she realized Santa wasn’t real, senior Mariam Abraham commented, “We weren’t really into that” referring to Santa. She then said, “I used to buy presents for myself when I was younger and label them from Santa, but eventually I just stopped because I always knew he wasn’t real”.

Despite how hard some parents tried, some kids just couldn’t be convinced that there was a Santa.

Senior Efrain Cervantes remarked, “I never thought he was real; I always thought the idea of Santa Claus was absurd and unrealistic.”

And some still cling to the idea of Santa.

“Wait, Santa isn’t real?” junior Jack Roseboom questioned.