End of an Era

End of an Era

Emily Bekiaris, Staff

It is officially November. This means we are approaching a series of holidays such as Thanksgiving, Hanukkah, Christmas, Kwanzaa, and New Years. All are beloved holidayshowever, today we are going to focus specifically on New Year’s.  

New Year’s is rapidly approaching, and we are finally entering a new decade. It is an end of an era, and the 2010s are almost gone. It is time to say goodbye, but, first, let’s have a walk down memory lane and look back at the number one song, movie, and internet challenge of each year. 

2019 

No. 1 Song: “Bad Guy” by Billie Eilish 

Although the year is not quite over, Bad Guy has been labeled the number one song of 2019, and no one is shocked. Ever since its release in March you can find this song on every musical platform and almost every teenager’s playlist. Billie Eilish is thriving now more than ever, and we all look forward to seeing what else she has planned. Other songs that came close to beating the number one spot would be Sucker by the newly returned Jonas Brothers, Old Town Road by Lil Nas X and Billy Ray Cyrus, and Señorita by Shawn Mendes and Camila Cabello. 

No. 1 Movie: Avenger’s: Endgame 

This announcement is no shock at all. Everyone remembers how hard it was to avoid spoilers for this one. It was nearly impossible, but if you made it through you were one of the lucky ones. This movie had everyone in tears and many of us came back to theaters the next day to go through the same emotional roller coaster. Avenger’s: Endgame received a gross of $2.503 billion worldwide. Worth every penny. 

No. 1 Internet Challenge: The VSCO Girl Challenge 

And I oop– possibly the most annoying and hilarious trend of all, we have the VSCO girls. You probably can hear the sounds of their hydro flasks dropping and their annoying yet inspirational pleas about saving the turtles. The name comes from the VSCO editing app, which is used for its filters that create a consistent social media aesthetic. This app slowly gained a stereotype for its female user, and thus, a new internet challenge had begun. 

2018 

No. 1 Song: “God’s Plan” by Drake 

The beat to this song is unforgettable. You probably had it stuck in your heads for days at time playing it over and over again.  God’s Plan was the most consumed song of 2018 with a consumption total of 5.5 million. 

No. 1 Movie: Avenger’s: Infinity War

Similar to that of Avengers: Endgame, this put you onto a very similar emotional coaster. No one was expecting the outcome of that movie. Many had to witness the loss of many of their favorite Marvel character. It truly was a tough time in all our lives. Avenger’s: Infinity War received a total gross of $2.05 billion. 

No. 1 Internet Challenge: Tide Pod Challenge 

Ah. The Tide Pod challenge. Possibly the most reckless and dangerous challenge our generation has ever been a part of. Why anyone would want to eat soap beats me, but alas, it is a part of our 2010s history. Hopefully, you have never participated, but maybe you let out a good laugh watching the stupidity of others. 

2017

No.1 Song: “Despacito” by Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee featuring Justin Bieber 

This sound might bring back memories of all the hours you spent trying to learn the lyrics to the song. Even if you couldn’t keep up chances are you didn’t care because it was still a good song to dance to. This song was released on April 17, 2017. 

No. 1 Movie: Star Wars: The Last Jedi 

“Star Wars: The Last Jedi” is a sprawling, incident- and character-packed extravaganza that picks up at the end of “Star Wars: Episode VII – The Force Awakens” and guides the series into unfamiliar territory. This movie had a total gross worldwide of $1.333 billion. 

No. 1 Internet Challenge: The Get Out Challenge 

This challenge originated from the movie Get Out. It comes from a specific scene in the movie where a character, Walter, comes running full speed at the camera before making a quick, sharp turn. This challenge was a fairly simple one to do, but funny, nonetheless. Many people made their own adaptations to this challenge giving it their own story lines and props, adding to the already funny challenge. 

2016 

No. 1 Song: “Can’t Stop the Feeling!” By Justin Timberlake 

Released as a single on May 10, 2016, “Can’t stop the Feeling!” hit the radio stations. It was– and still is– a very feel good song that embraces happiness and living in the moment. From its upbeat dancing and Justin telling you to just keep dancing, you probably have very fond memories of this song. 

No.1 Movie: Captain America: Civil War 

On May 6, 2016, you probably struggled picking a side when it came to this movie. Who did you side with? Captain America? Or Iron Man? Many were left conflicted as our favorite superheroes went head to head. This movie had an outstanding worldwide gross of 1.153 billion. 

No. 1 Internet Challenge: Mannequin Challenge 

The Mannequin challenge was a viral Internet video trend which became popular in November 2016, in which people remain frozen in action, like mannequins, while a moving camera films them while “Black Beatle” by Rae Sremmurd played in the background. Once the trend gained more popularity people would randomly yell “Mannequin challenge” and you’d have to pause in place until a beat dropped or until a teacher yelled at you to get to class. 

2015 

No. 1 Song: “Uptown Funk” by Mark Ronson Ft. Bruno Mars 

If you don’t believe me, look it up. Mars and Ronson create a monster party vibe in this song from it’s beat and rhythm to its lyrics. The song was released as a single on 10 November 2014 via download in several countries.  Mars and Ronson performed in a sing-rapping style filled with metaphors, arrogance, charisma, and fun making this song just as popular today as it was then. 

No. 1 Movie: Jurassic World 

This movie was about a new theme park, built on the original site of Jurassic Park when the Indominus Rex escapes and terrorizes everyone and everything in sight. Just as deadly and disastrous as the previous Jurassic Park series, this movie received a worldwide total of $1.672 billion. 

No. 1 Internet Challenges: Kylie Jenner Lip Challenge 

The Kylie Jenner Lip challenge likely left you with a big red or purple ring around your lips for a few days. This trend was easy to do. Simply insert your lips into a small jar or bottle, then suck out the air, creating a vacuum. You keep this position then voila! You had nice thick lips like Kylie Jenner, in theory anyway. If you participated, then you know the immediate regret you got once seeing the results. Please kids, don’t try this at home. 

2014

No. 1 Song: “Happy” by Pharrell Williams  

It’s impossible not to clap along to this song. “Happy,” written by Pharrell Williams, was recorded for the soundtrack of the 3D computer-animated action comedy film Despicable Me 2. Soon after, it became world’s first 24-hour music video, becoming a global sensation. Although “Happy” is considered the number one song of 2014, it lost to the famous song “Let it Go.” 

No.1 Movie:  The LEGO Movie 

Everything about this movie was awesome. The LEGO Movie is a 3D animated film which follows lead character, Emmet, a completely ordinary LEGO mini figure, who is identified as the most “extraordinary person” and the key to saving the Lego universe. There were many familiar characters in this movie, and hopefully you didn’t lose your pants while watching it. “The LEGO Movie” had gross worldwide total of $469.1 million. 

No. 1 Internet Challenge: The Ice Bucket Challenge 

This trend was one of the more prideful trends our generation took part in. Unlike most challenges, this one had a cause. More commonly known as the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge, it was an activity involving the dumping of a bucket of ice water over a person’s head, either by another person or self-administered, to promote awareness of the disease amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, also known as ALS. This trend became very popular in the beginning of July 2014. 

2013 

No. 1 Song: “Thrift Shop” by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis Ft. Wanz 

I wish I had twenty dollars in my pocket. “Thrift Shop,” by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis ft. Wanz was released on August 27, 2012. Who would have thought a song about used clothes would gain this much popularity 

No. 1 Movie: Frozen 

Everyone remembers the explosion of all things Frozen since its release on November 26, 2013. “Let it Go” was being hummed by every kid and their parents. Frozen quicly became the top-grossing animated flick ever with a whopping total gross of $1.219 billion. Now we are all preparing for the second shockwave that will occur after the release of Frozen 2 scheduled to release this week on November 22, 2019. 

No.1 Internet Challenge: Harlem Shake 

In February on 2013, the Harlem Shake was an Internet meme in the form of a video in which a group of people dance to a short excerpt from the song “Harlem Shake.” Having nothing to do with the original Harlem Shake Dance, participants instead began flailing or convulsive movements. The things that entertains are quite interesting. 

2012 

No. 1 Song: “Call Me Maybe” by Carly Rae Jepson  

It has been nearly eight years since this hit song debuted, and I still can’t get it out of my head. It’s just as impossible to avoid this song now as it was then. “Call Me Maybe” spent nine weeks at #1 on the Hot 100, the most by a Canadian-born woman in the chart’s history. 

No. 1 Movie: The Avengers 

When Thor’s evil brother, Loki, gains access to the unlimited power of the energy cube called the Tesseract, Nick Fury, director of S.H.I.E.L.D., initiates a superhero recruitment effort to defeat the unprecedented threat to Earth. This is when we saw our favorite heroes unite to become what we know as today, The Avengers. This action- packed film had a worldwide gross of $1.5 billion. 

No. 1 Internet Challenge: The Cinnamon Challenge 

The cinnamon challenge was a viral internet food challenge. The goal of this challenge was to film oneself eating a spoonful of ground cinnamon in under 60 seconds without drinking anything. Sure, it sounds easy, but the challenge carries substantial health risks. The cinnamon coats and dries the mouth and throat, resulting in a series of coughing, gagging, vomiting, and inhalation of cinnamon, leading to throat irritation, breathing difficulties, and risk of pneumonia or a collapsed lung. Again, why would anyone would intentionally do something they knew could potentially kill them is beyond me, but once again, it is a part of our 2010s history. 

2011 

No.1 Song: “Party Rock Anthem” by LMFAO feat. Lauren Bennett and GoonRock 

It’s impossible to be in bad spirits while listening to this song. You just have to get up and Party Rock! This song was released on January 25, 2019, and it undoubtedly made your year better whether you were still in elementary school or just starting middle school.  

No. 1 Movie: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows- Part 2  

By the time this movie came out, the final movie of the Harry Potter series, we were all still recovering from the death of Dobby. Many iconic deaths took place in this movie, as the main three–Harry, Ron, and Hermione– prepared for a final battle against Lord Voldemort. We were nowhere emotionally prepared for the outcome of this movie. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows- Part 2, received worldwide total gross of $1.34 billon. 

No.1 Internet Challenge: Tebowing 

Tebowing is defined as “to get down on a knee and start praying, even if everyone else around you is doing something completely different.” This trend was based off the Denver Bronco Tim Tebow in October 2011. Many people started posting pictures of themselves tebowing in crowded places. It’s worth the search on Google.  

2010

No. 1 Song: “Tik Tok” by Ke$ha 

Released on August 7, 2009, the song “Tik Tok,” gained popularity in the beginning of 2010. In fact, this song was the first Hot 100 #1 of the 2010s decade.  The song is an upbeat electropop song, and it’s likely you still know all the words to this iconic song. 

No. 1 Movie: Avatar 

In this movie, a paraplegic Marine, Jake Sully, is dispatched to the moon Pandora on a unique mission becomes torn between following his orders and protecting the world he feels is his home. You may have walked into this movie with uncertain expectations, but it is guaranteed you fell in love with this movie. Avatar, received a worldwide gross of $2.029 billion. 

No. 1 Internet Challenge: Planking 

Planking was the act of lying face down on the ground, with your arms against your body, in crazy locations. People planked in locations as simple as on a desk to as crazy as in the middle of the road and on top on buildings. The challenge started a bit back in September 2009, when seven doctors and nurses working at the Great Western Hospital in Swindon, England were suspended for planking while on duty, but the challenge didn’t really take off until 2011 when more social media platforms allowed the posting of this crazy position. 

Hopefully, this article opened up old memories as you reminisced on the past. You probably remember goofing around with your friends and family, singing along to these songs or participating in these ridiculous –yet entertaining– challenges. The 2010s was our childhood years. This is where we experienced all our firsts, all the ones we can remember at least. It may be hard to believe, but in the 2010s we endured most of our elementary, middle, and high school years. The 2020s, surprisingly, is when most of us will graduate college, find our dream jobs, and dare I say, married with kids. It is time to say goodbye to our former selves and start looking to the future. As this article comes to end, I want to wish you a happy holidays, and good luck with all the years to come.