The Best Halloween Movies to Watch This Fall

Jessica Lednum, Staff

Fall is here, which means the trees are changing colors and leaves are falling to the ground. The weather is getting colder as it’s almost time for sweater season as well! Most importantly, Halloween is creeping its way here.

Halloween is one of the strangest and most mystical holidays of them all. It’s the time of the year to carve pumpkins, dress up as anything, receive free candy, and go to haunted houses. What other way to get you into the spirit than to watch scary movies! Here’s a list of FIVE spooky movies to watch this fall.

1. Based on a true story, The Conjuring consists of jump scares and the constant buildup of tension.

Lorraine and Ed Warren, who are paranormal investigators and demonologists, are sent to the home of Carolyn and Roger Perron. The Perrons and their five daughters live in a private farmhouse, where a demon entity makes itself known. The Warrens are forced to confront the supernatural presence and are caught in the most terrifying case of their lives.

1. Scary due to it realistic narration, The Blair Witch Project keeps it viewers on their toes.

The movie tells a story of three film students– Heather Donahue, Joshua Leonard, Michael C. Williams–through recovered video footage. To collect documentary footage about the Blair Witch, a legendary local murderer, the students travel to a small town. They interview townspeople and gather clues. Sketchy about the details of the Blair Witch, the students make their way through the woods to investigate. They end up getting lost and begin to hear horrific sounds and see strange artifacts. The video recordings reveal that the three students have no way of getting out and are lacking food.

1. The Babadook is about a spirit haunting a family in the form of a childhood monster.

Amelia is at a loss six years after the death of her husband. She struggles to deal with her mental health along with disciplining her six-year-old son, Samuel. He dreams about a monster and believes it’s coming to kill him and his mother. A mysterious storybook called ‘The Babadook’ shows up at their house, and Samuel is convinced that The Babadook is the monster he’s been dreaming about. He begins to hallucinate about the monster and Amelia also begins to see glimpses of The Babadook herself.

1. Paranormal Activity (2007) is praised for being a movie that is easy for viewers to understand

Couple Katie and Micah move into a suburban home where a demon terrorizes them. Katie believes that the demon has been following her around her entire life. They set up security cameras around the house to capture any evidence of a supernatural presence.

1. The film Silent Hill is a loose adaptation of a video game of the same name.

Mother, Rose takes her dying daughter to a faith healer. They accidently drive to an eerie and deserted ghost town called Silent Hill, a portal. The town is smothered by fog and surrounded by living “darkness”. The darkness transforms everything it touches, and the humans in Silent Hill fight against it, only to lose to it.