Catonsville Football Steamrolls Centennial in 2019 Season Opener 32-7

Cameron McHugh, Staff

On Friday night, under the lights, Catonsville High kicked off their 2019 varsity football season with a bang. Looking to improve on a dismal 2-18 record over the past 2 seasons, Catonsville came out firing on all cylinders against the Centennial Eagles.

Outfitted in brand new uniforms, the Comets offensive attack seemed very fresh compared to previous years. The Comets put up 32 points during Friday’s victory, their most points since August 31st of last year.

Catonsville got some big plays and standout performances from a variety of players, demonstrating the group effort it took to take down the Eagles.

Junior QB Jacob Diluca had 2 touchdown passes during the game. One was a 6 yard pass to Sophomore WR Damon Chase, with Chase extending the ball over the goal line prior to being tackled. Diluca’s other TD of the night came later on a 28 yard bomb to Senior WR Dashawn Dixon.

Sophomore Anthony Fliggins also had a huge game. Fliggins was all over the field making big play after big play on both offense and special teams. A long punt return set up the Comets in scoring position immediately. The sophomore also had numerous catches and flashed his speed and strength. On one reception, he broke 3 tackles and took off down the sideline getting all the way down to the goal line.

The kicking game was also on point. Sophomore Jack Krug went 2/2 on his field goal attempts from 31 and 29 yards respectively.

The defense shined as well as Senior Michael Bowers had tons of tackles as well as a rushing touchdown on the other side of the ball. Sophomore Josh Williams ended the Comets scoring night with a 29 yard interception return for a touchdown.

The Comets will look to build off of this great performance next week on the road again against Hammond High at 7:00 pm.