Ashley Metzbower, Staff

Having plants in one’s room is very beneficial. Not only are plants pretty, but they also detoxify the space, lower carbon dioxide levels, reduce levels of certain pollutants, and can even keep air temperatures down. But to obtain these wonderful perks of having vegetation, a potential gardener must learn the how-tos first. 

According to “Plant Care 101”, the author’s first tip is to purchase plants from Home Depot. Being that they have a one-year guarantee, if the plants might die on you, you can keep the container and receipt in order to exchange them.  

Different plants have different watering and sunlight needs. For instance, succulents and cacti are good for beginners as they do not need much attention, water-wise, just sunlight and go.  

Houseplants are relatively easy to care for. Match up the right plant to the right light and other growing conditions and houseplants will last for years,” proclaimed Carrie Engel from Valley View Farms. 

“Plants like philodendron, Chinese evergreens, snakeplants and pothos thrive in low to moderate light. Ficus trees, dracaenas and others will do well in moderate to bright light. Garden centers are able to provide information on the best plants for their customer’s wants and needs. Providing drainage is very important, so choosing the right pot and soil for a houseplant is key,” she continued. 

If a succulent becomes stretched out, it isn’t getting enough sunlight. And a cacti rule of thumb, the thinner the cactus, the less water it needs. A safe method for watering non-succulent plants is to keep soil lightly moist, never wet. 

“The key to keeping plants is to keep easy plants,” claimed engineering teacher Zach Wiseman. 

There are also many advantages for keeping plants in a common area of a home.  

In one article on benefits of houseplants, it explains much research-based information on different types of plants.  

It states having plants indoors can not only help to better the air quality but can also help with the body and mind.  

“NASA conducted studies of houseplants and found that they reduced indoor toxins that may be present in paints, cleaners, insulation and carpeting in our homes and offices. Houseplants can also reduce noise levels and create beauty by bringing a bit of nature indoors,” Ms. Engel stated. 

Plants can help to improve health, reduce stress, and boost moods. 

“I love them so much. Plants add so much happiness to the room,” exclaimed sophomore Riley Scott. 

“I think that indoor plants are beautiful and really give the room a more comforting feel,” asserted sophomore Max Powell. 

Plants in classrooms can help students’ concentration improve, making them perfect for both at home and in work spaces, too. 

Mr. Wiseman has an abundance of plants in his classroom.  

“I find that it has a calming effect on my students, and it beautifies the room. It also compensates for the lack of windows I have. We don’t have any references to the outside or nature, so by having plants, it reminds everybody of natural systems,” he said. “I think that’s even more important when you’re often working with machines and tools is to remember where the materials come from and they obviously come from nature.”  

Mr. Wiseman said that for the 10 years he’s been here, he has had plants inside, and it definitely bring him joy, too. 

Health teacher Nacy Bauer suggests looking at this article by treehugger.com for additional information on the health benefits. 

Once the plant-care basics are mastered and confidence levels are boosted, go for more exotic, colorful, large greenery. Make the world a prettier, better place! 

Ashley Metzbower, Staff

Hi, I'm Ashley Metzbower, and I'm a sophomore here at Catonsville. I enjoy writing and I'm excited to be able to do so in the school newspaper!

• Raise a Plant, It’s Good for You

• Raise a Plant, It’s Good for You

• Raise a Plant, It’s Good for You

• Raise a Plant, It’s Good for You

• Raise a Plant, It’s Good for You

• Raise a Plant, It’s Good for You

• Raise a Plant, It’s Good for You

• Raise a Plant, It’s Good for You

Valentine’s Day Clichés: No Way or OK?

• Raise a Plant, It’s Good for You

Stay Immune to Senioritis

• Raise a Plant, It’s Good for You

Spider Man Moves into ‘Spider Verse’