Katrina Bucher and Eden Beyene

Oh, the classroom: cue the level desks, blank walls, and typical lack of windows. How can students be excited to learn when the environment doesn’t cooperate? Fear not, some teachers at CHS have battled against the bland-classroom stereotype with some amazing creativity. 

English teacher Rachel Wilkinson sympathizes with students’ situation. After coming to CHS from a private school where desks weren’t the only seating option, Ms. Wilkinson wanted to incorporate a similar vibe into her own classroom.   

“I think students want to feel like they’re welcome and wanted somewhere. I don’t think they feel welcome and wanted if all they’re offered is an uncomfortable desk and chair,” stated Ms. Wilkinson. 

Walking into Ms. Wilkinson’s room, you’re immediately met with two plush brown sofa-chairs. They’re available for casual convo or group discussions before, during, and after class.  

English teacher Jennifer Hartman takes her artistic style to a whole new level. 

“One of the things that is unique about her classroom is that she has… a lot of color,” said sophomore Mailin Eagle. Ms. Hartman’s room is decorated with tons of blue and gold streamers around the perimeter of her room, bathing the sunlight in school colors.  

“She has a bunch of quotes everywhere… You feel inspired throughout the whole classroom,” said Eagle. 

The room also gets students’ creative juices flowing during free-writing and offers comfy seats during silent reading. 

Students and teachers alike appreciate an abundance of windows. Rosie Ruzzi, English and yearbook teacher, enjoys her corner classroom, which has windows across two walls. 

“I love to look out over the Key Bridge and view the sunrise in the morning,” Ms. Ruzzi said. 

In addition, she shares something in common with the aforementioned English teachers; her room is organized with flexible seating and is covered with student work. 

“I decided to customize my room because it’s important for students to feel comfortable and inspired in both English and yearbook class. School should be a safe space for students, where they feel loved by their teachers and at home in the physical building. I tried to create a space that gives voice to all my students and fosters positivity during the school day,” Ms. Ruzzi said. 

• Coolest Classrooms of CHS

What is the Child Development Class?

• Coolest Classrooms of CHS

CHS Prepares for ‘Test of All Tests’

• Coolest Classrooms of CHS

• Coolest Classrooms of CHS

• Coolest Classrooms of CHS

• Coolest Classrooms of CHS

• Coolest Classrooms of CHS

• Coolest Classrooms of CHS

• Coolest Classrooms of CHS

• Coolest Classrooms of CHS

Valentine’s Day Clichés: No Way or OK?