Stay Immune to Senioritis

Stay Immune to Senioritis

Eden Beyene, Staff

With the start of the second quarter, seniors are over the half-way mark of their last year in high school. This is the optimal time for “senioritis,” the slacking off in school that many seniors succumb to as they finish off their high school experience. Schoolwork becomes less of a priority, and we indulge more in entertainment and social lives. This new lifestyle may seem fun, but it can lead to dropping grades and more stressors, especially when colleges ask for mid-year or final transcripts.  

Here are some tips to help you avoid catching the bug. 

1. Make schedules 

This time of the year, seniors may be experiencing less work than ever, with less AP classes, half-day schedules, and no more SAT. However, procrastination can easily sneak in when you feel like you have a lot of time on your hands. In order to avoid unproductiveness, I make schedules with everything I need to do for the evening plus time limits for each item. 

2. Set goals 

If you’re feeling a lack of motivation, try writing down goals you have for the year. It may be helpful to relate them to your future goals or what you want to do before high school ends. Making them specific can help you to stick to them. If you find yourself bored, goals will give you a plan of action to keep busy. 

3. Keep your schoolwork organized  

It may be harder to catch up with work if you’re binder is completely disorganized; keeping on top of assignments can help make school more manageable. It can also help keep you from being scatterbrained with all of the changes happening in your life as you transition out of high school. 

4. Keep grades in mind 

Although you’re a senior, grades are still big part of your life. Many colleges require mid-year and final grades. If you’re going into the workforce, your high school GPA will probably be on your resume while you apply to jobs. Don’t let bad decisions affect your plans after CHS. 

5. Think about the next phase of your life 

It’s never too early to plan for the future. If you’re next step is college, think about the courses you want to take; if you’ve taken AP tests, you may be able to place out of some. Look up your school’s clubs or sports you want to join. Take some time to research and apply for scholarships. Take a CCBC course or two. If you’re joining the military, take the ASVAB test. Think about the job you want and work on your resume if you’re entering the workforce. 

Eden Beyene, Staff Writer

Hi, I'm Eden! I am a 12th grader in CHS. I enjoy reading and writing which is why I joined journalism. In my free time, I enjoy reading and talking with...

• Stay Immune to Senioritis

Valentine’s Day Clichés: No Way or OK?

• Stay Immune to Senioritis

Spider Man Moves into ‘Spider Verse’

• Stay Immune to Senioritis

Have Fun in the Dead of Winter

• Stay Immune to Senioritis

Forgotten History: The Integration of CHS

• Stay Immune to Senioritis

Let’s Talk About Periods (For Once)

• Stay Immune to Senioritis

Red Dead Redemption 2: A Sequel Worth Waiting For

• Stay Immune to Senioritis

Day In the Life of T.O

• Stay Immune to Senioritis

Cell Phones Distract, Teachers Say

• Stay Immune to Senioritis

Winter Wonder Week: A Second Spirit Week!

• Stay Immune to Senioritis

Stay Immune to Senioritis