Spider Man Moves into ‘Spider Verse’

Spider Man Moves into ‘Spider Verse’

Miles Morales (Shameik Moore) Columbia Pictures and Sony Pictures Animation's SPIDER-MAN: INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE.

Sony Pictures Animation

Sony Pictures Animation

Sony Pictures Animation

Beth Wolde, Staff

Spider Man: Into the Spider Verse is the latest Spider Man movie, and it might just be the best. Spider Verse takes place way into the future where Spider Man (Peter Parker) is more established as a hero and as an adult, but in light of his death his place had to be taken, this introduces us to the new Spider Man, Miles Morales, another victim of a spider bite gone wrong.

The film is an animation that also has comic book elements such as word boxes, images squares, and narration which makes the movie a more unique and eye-catching for viewers, such as when they put “BLAMMO” in big letters and adding arrows and other background symbols to emphasizes the characters’ actions. The movie has not only lots of action but still has Spider Man’s classic heartfelt humor.

In the beginning of the movie, we are given insight into Miles’ life and the area he lives in, showing us his deep connection to New York and its people. It also shows how he’s being introduced to many new things in his life, a new school with new people that he tries hard to form a connection with. Miles is under the pressure of his father to adapt to this new school in addition to now being the new Spider Man, neither of which being a choice.

Miles has no idea how to function or control his powers until closer to the end of the movie. He struggles with control over his web, his invisibility, and electric powers which is intensified by the pressure of the other more experienced Spider men and women.

The film makes the audience feel bad for Miles through showing not on the physical challenges he goes through to become a hero, but also showing the deeper emotional challenges such as with his Uncle Aaron and the pressure of having to fill Spider Man’s shoes. This shows the more realistic side to becoming a hero and shows how it takes time to learn how to be one. In this case, how it takes Miles awhile to understand how to not only figure out himself as Spider Man, but also himself as a person. Most Marvel films have made the task of learning how to become a hero look easy and achievable.

The movie’s interpretation of several different Spider Men and Women adds comedic and diverse elements to the film. The Peter Parker, aka Spider Man, that came from one of the other universes acted as not only a mentor for Miles, but a friend who also taught and learned from him. The character Gwen Stacy, aka Spider Woman, added a romantic element into the movie when Miles seemed to grow a likening to her. By the end of the movie, they again contact each other even after she returns to her own dimension.

Into the Spider Verse also introduced us to several other Spideys that showed the many different approaches to Spiderman with different animation styles. The use of anime style animation for Peni Parker and her connection to her Spidey robot, who has all the Spider Man powers, emphasized how different her dimension is. The character Spider Man Noir is a 1930s version of Spidey who pokes fun at the black-and-white character while also adding in elements of old-time detectives. Peter Porker, aka Spider-Ham, really showed how different all these dimensions are. Spider-Ham was an interpretation of a classic cartoon character as shown when he pulls out random objects such as a hammer. This film shows how superheroes can be anyone regardless of race, gender, or in this case, species.

Towards the climax of the film, The Prowler, who works for the main villain Kingpin and hunts down Miles, is revealed to be Miles’ Uncle Aaron. Miles relationship to his Uncle Aaron makes it even more heartbreaking because Miles looks up to him. The pressure and stress Miles’ father places on him to succeed in life and the lack of connection between them further shows Aaron’s importance and value in Miles’ life. The feeling of Uncle Aaron’s betrayal is not only felt by Miles but the audience as well.

The film has the common hero storyline that you need a drastic change or revelation to figure out who you really are. Uncle Aaron’s death and Miles father’s heartfelt dialogue are the wakeup call Miles needed to gain control of his powers and have more confidence in himself as a hero.

Beth Wolde, Staff

Hi I’m Beth, a sophomore at Catonsville High School. I like art, and this is my first year taking journalism.

• Spider Man Moves into ‘Spider Verse’

Valentine’s Day Clichés: No Way or OK?

• Spider Man Moves into ‘Spider Verse’

Stay Immune to Senioritis

• Spider Man Moves into ‘Spider Verse’

Have Fun in the Dead of Winter

• Spider Man Moves into ‘Spider Verse’

Forgotten History: The Integration of CHS

• Spider Man Moves into ‘Spider Verse’

Let’s Talk About Periods (For Once)

• Spider Man Moves into ‘Spider Verse’

Red Dead Redemption 2: A Sequel Worth Waiting For

• Spider Man Moves into ‘Spider Verse’

Day In the Life of T.O

• Spider Man Moves into ‘Spider Verse’

Cell Phones Distract, Teachers Say

• Spider Man Moves into ‘Spider Verse’

Winter Wonder Week: A Second Spirit Week!

• Spider Man Moves into ‘Spider Verse’

Spider Man Moves into ‘Spider Verse’