Noor Raza, Staff

Staring blankly at the computer screen, desperately waiting for something, anything. Yet, like the past 10 minutes, nothing. That’s when you decide to give up for now and return to it later. Later meaning the night before the paper is due.  

Ladies and Gentlemen, that’s what we all call procrastination. A stressor, the cause of lost sleep, the reason why many students cry at 2 am — wouldn’t it be so much easier if it just didn’t exist? Procrastination continues to ruin a lot of high school students, but they continue to do it. Just why is it this way?  

“I don’t feel like doing homework because I have to sit down and read stuff I don’t care about. Things like art though, I don’t procrastinate because I have an interest,” senior Sadie Marks stated.  

There are multiple reasons for procrastinating, but Marks believes that the main reason for it is lack of interest. When a student finds a subject boring, she/he tend to put it aside.  

“It’s mainly caused by laziness, lack of time management, social media, technology, and the thoughts a person has that he/she will be able to finish his/her work on time which doesn’t work out most of the time,” junior Maham Khalid explained. 

Khalid lists a few reasons students fall into this web of constant torture. But she mentions one that a lot of us can relate to.  

It’s when students take the “deadline” route. This is where a deadline turns into more of an excuse to procrastinate. “I’ll do it in an hour,” and that hour never comes.   

What tips can those who have conquered this bad habit offer to stop this?  

“People strategically try to curb [procrastination] by using costly self-imposed deadlines, and [they] are not always as effective as some external deadlines,” Psychologist Dan Ariely concluded in the article The Procrastination Doom Loop-And How to Break It.   

Ariely believes that giving yourself a deadline leads you to believe you’re giving yourself time but it’s just really giving yourself hope that after an arbitrary amount of time you’ll feel like doing your work.  

The amount of times a student procrastinates varies and some are worse than others.  

“How often don’t I procrastinate is the real question,” junior Solomon Robin remarked. 

As sarcastic as that may be, Robin thinks it’s true of himself.  

At times students make the decision to change this habit.  

Marks said she procrastinated daily her junior year, too.  

But now that she is in her senior year, she says, “I get all my homework done after eating because I’m trying not to procrastinate this year.”  

Other ways students can defeat this “disease.” According to Khalid, one way can be through the help of teachers.  

“Give students no extra time to finish a task or redo the given task as it will make the students realize their responsibility and make them more alert for next time,” Khalid explained.  

Students taking responsibility can be important to conquering this habit because it plays a very big role in procrastination. A sense of responsibility in a student can help stress them into completing the task given as soon as its given.  

Understanding what has caused procrastination in your life will give you the power to fight back against it. Once you understand why you are procrastinating, you can take steps to overcome the problem and experience a much more fulfilling life while also being confident in your work.   

Noor Raza, Staff

This is my bio.

Good bye-o.

• Crying at 2AM

• Crying at 2AM

• Crying at 2AM

• Crying at 2AM

• Crying at 2AM

• Crying at 2AM

• Crying at 2AM

• Crying at 2AM

• Crying at 2AM

Getting to the Bottom of Crowded Hallways

• Crying at 2AM

CHS Got Milk?