CHS Varsity Football Mid-Season Report

CHS Varsity Football Mid-Season Report

Cameron McHugh and Li Chen

The Comet varsity football team is almost half way through their season following their game against Franklin on October 5 which ended on a (48-0) lost. After this game, the team is now 1-5. 

The Comets’ first game of the season of was a 16-0 home win against Sparrows Point on August 31. Even though this was an out-of-league affair, it was a great start to the season as the Comets were able to get out on the right foot early in the season. Defense was the key in this game as Catonsville was able to shutout a Sparrows Point team that has lost every game this season for a record of 0-4. 

“Coaching has been good so far this season,” said junior wide receiver Parker Douala. “We have the determination to be successful; we just don’t put in enough effort in the offseason to beat the better teams.” 

The next game was the annual game against the Lansdowne Vikings. The game had the same edge and intensity of each of the other games in this rivalry. Last year the Comets won the game 29-16, but this season that was not the case. Catonsville was defeated by Lansdowne by a score of 14-40. Thus, Catonsville’s record dropped back down to 1-1. 

Following the loss to Lansdowne, the Comets lost both of their next two games against Chesapeake (45-6), and against Dundalk (35-0). This dropped Catonsville’s record down to 1-3, and made the early success look less convincing. 

AJ Brown plays defensive line for Catonsville. 

“We have the potential to be a better team, but we keep making the same mistakes as last season” Brown said. “We call ourselves a family, but we don’t act like one. However, I believe that we are starting to move in the right direction.” 

Players and fans alike are concerned about the direction in which the team is going. Against low-level competition, the team has consistently been successful throughout the years, but once they are scheduled to play against a quality opponent, they can’t perform to the highest extent. 

The team ended last season with a record of 1-9, and the only team they won against was Lansdowne on 9/8 with a final score of 29-16.  

This year the team has a new lineup with lots of players that are either new or didn’t have much playing time last year. Overall the team is looking like they’re going to do better this year compared to last year.  

Cameron McHugh, Staff

Hi! My name is Cameron McHugh, and I am a sophomore here at Catonsville High! Obviously this is my second year taking journalism, and I am loving it. I...

Li Chen, Writer

Hi, my name is Li Chen, and I'm a sophomore. I like to play basketball and mountain bike as a hobby.

• CHS Varsity Football Mid-Season Report

CHS Varsity Football Mid-Season Report