CHS Got Milk?

CHS Got Milk?

Katrina Bucher, Staff

The “veg” craze is slowly but surely making an impact on the United States. According to a study conducted by the Vegetarian Resource Group, about 7.5 million people are vegetarian and 2.5 million are vegan. So, it’s no wonder that cow’s milk is declining in popularity compared to fresh, healthier alternatives such as almond milk, cashew milk, or even pistachio milk. But which of these substitutions is the favorite among CHS students?  

Senior Eva White has been vegan for over three years, and she advocates that almond milk is not only the best option, but the healthiest. 

“Almonds are full of healthy nutrients, such as fiber and protein. For me personally, I need as much protein as I can get, so almond milk is the best option. It also tastes really good,” stated White. 

However, many students are firm believers that regular cow’s milk is the best for you, despite the recent health craze. 

Sophomore Nate Frenkel wants to stick with what he knows, and that regular whole milk is important for his strength.  

“Milk is so high in calcium, and I need strong bones because I have a family history of osteoporosis. It’s what I’m comfortable with and what I know is best for me,” explained Frenkel.  

So, who’s right? Well, it really depends on what your specific health requirements are. According to medium.com, almond milk is naturally lower in calories and free of lactose, saturated fat, and cholesterol if it’s unsweetened. However, almond milk is not the best source of calcium compared to milk, so if you have a calcium deficiency or have bone structure problems, good old cow’s milk may be the best. 

But what are the benefits of other, more obscure types of milk? Cashew and pistachio are relatively new to the milk scene, so why are they suddenly becoming more popular? 

Junior Gracelin O’Malley transitioned to drinking pistachio milk a couple years ago and advises her peers to try it. 

“I know it sounds weird, but pistachio milk is actually really good for you. Pistachios are high in antioxidants and can lower blood sugar, which is why my mom drinks it. Sure, green milk looks odd, but it’s so good, so don’t knock it before you try it,” stated O’Malley. 

But some people overall are just not milk drinkers at all, like government teacher Mr. Thomas Ferrell. 

“I only use regular milk in cereal, and when I do I use two percent. Whole milk, and any type of milk really, is gross to me and I’ve never been a real fan,” stated Ferrell. 

But Ferrell brings up a whole other argument. What is the best kind of cow’s milk? What do the people really prefer? 

With all the options like skim, one percent, two percent, and whole, the health benefits are very different. Skim has way less calories than whole milk, and one percent has one percent of milk fat while two percent milk has two percent of milk fat. If you’re trying to stay healthy, skim milk may be the best choice because it ranks lowest in calories and in fat. 

It looks like there may not be one clear answer to what the best milk alternative is, or if there should be an alternative at all. It really does vary from person to person and their health needs, and there are so many possibilities for alternatives, there is one that will work best for everyone. If you’re considering changing it up, do the proper research and make sure it will benefit you.

Katrina Bucher, Writer

Hi, I'm Katrina Bucher, a senior here at CHS. I love to play softball, golf, and hang out with my friends. I'm really happy to be writing for the school...

• CHS Got Milk?

• CHS Got Milk?

• CHS Got Milk?

• CHS Got Milk?

• CHS Got Milk?

• CHS Got Milk?

• CHS Got Milk?

• CHS Got Milk?

• CHS Got Milk?

• CHS Got Milk?

CHS Got Milk?