Shaping Up Social Media Accounts for College

Katrina Bucher, Staff

According to a study conducted by Kaplan Test Prep in 2017, 35% of 365 U.S. Admission officers reported that they do check out prospective students’ social media to learn more about them. Cue the thousands of Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram accounts deleted right before applications are due. Drastic measures don’t have to be taken, but how should a senior clean up their social media accounts to appeal to colleges? 

One of the most important things to do is extensively review what you’ve posted, not just in the past year but in the full history of your account. 

Class of 2018 graduate Walid Khan describes frantically deleting tweets the month before submitting his applications. 

“My friends and I always tweet crude and funny stuff at each other, and I realized what’s funny to me probably isn’t funny to my college admissions staff. September was hectic for me to delete tweets as old as 2016,” explained Khan. 

Another thing seniors should take into consideration is their political or controversial posts. As teens feel more and more empowered to share their voice on social media, some admissions can be impartial to political content. 

Guidance counselor Todd Pinson reminds students that they should feel free to post about politics, but keep in mind what could go through the heads of admission’s staff. 

“Students are most definitely allowed to have opinions on current affairs such as politics; however, students should be mindful that in the context of the college admissions process and its subjectivity, political opinions may have an impact” advised Mr. Pinson. 

Scholarships can also be affected by a student’s social media content. Students applying for scholarships usually have a higher chance of getting their social media examined and should make their social media reflect what colleges would want to see. 

As stated in an article by the Huffington Post, University of Georgia admissions director Cindy Boyles Crawford describes the power social media can wield in creating an image for scholarships. 

“Many scholarships, organizations, and companies see social media as the ‘true view’ of a student’s character,” stated Ms. Crawford. 

However, while some seniors have already begun the process, it may not necessarily be for college apps. 

Senior Riley Sherwin recalls shaping her social media before her job interviews. 

“When I was applying to a lot of offices and restaurants my junior year, my mom told me I should make sure my social media is presentable, and now that I’ve already done it for that I’m set for college,” stated Sherwin.  

In the long run, it’s beneficial for seniors to make their social media more professional as they head out into the real world. Whether it be for college admissions or for work, make sure your social media reflects how you want to be perceived. 

Katrina Bucher, Writer

Hi, I'm Katrina Bucher, a senior here at CHS. I love to play softball, golf, and hang out with my friends. I'm really happy to be writing for the school...

• Shaping Up Social Media Accounts for College