We R Generation Z

Gabby Douglas, Sstaff

Generation Z is the generation after the Millennials, also referred to as Generation Y. Generation Z is made up of people born from the mid-1990s to the early 2000s. They make up 25% of the U.S. population, making them a larger cohort than the baby boomers or millennials.

Generation Z makes up about two billion of the population globally, and according the Washington Post, “they don’t just represent the future, they’re creating it.” And they make up much of the current CHS student population.

This generation is also referred to as “iGen,” “zeds,” “digital integrators,” “gen tech,” “screenagers,” and various other nicknames.

Generation Z was born into the crisis period of terrorism, the global recession, and climate change. They are predicted to spend their young adult years in a time of economic and social renewal.

“Growing up during so many economic, political, and social crises ensures that we are a generation who cares about the world and believes we can make a change for the better,” junior Emily Ames explained.

They are also predicted to be more cautious, more conservative, and more connected than ever with everyone around the world.

Generation Z is very socially, globally, visually, and technologically oriented. The Washington Post and many other people believe that they are the most connected, educated, and sophisticated generation ever.

“Our generation is very creative and progressive and empowered due to technology,” junior Justice Jackson stated.

This generation utilizes technology in every way possible. Generation Z uses technology to communicate, for entertainment, to access information, and for so many different aspects. With so much availability and freedom, technology is not always beneficial.

“We are very deep into our phones and it hinders us just as much as it helps us,” junior Jackson explained.

This generation literally has so much information at their fingertips without having to do much to obtain it.

“I feel like this generation needs to be challenged more and to be taught to form their own opinion rather than the opinions of others,” physical education teacher Warm stated.

While technology can serve as a large scale of communication to spread news and create a world that is much more aware of conditions everywhere; unfortunately, technology can also be used to spread hate extremely fast and even anonymously.

With smartphones and other technology so accessible to this generation, it is extremely important of them to be responsible and to use it to their advantage.

“Our generation has stepped up in politics, and I believe this is due a lot to the disposal of information we have at our fingertips. It allows us to be objective and impartial because we are provided with facts at a very fast rate,” Ames said.

The internet helps to promote a lot of things and people. This is how many people get recognized for talents and even can become famous. Although these things don’t seem to be an issue, as a generation we must all recognize the impact we have on society and how many more opportunities we have due to the internet.

“I don’t think a lot of people our age really understand the power technology has and how beneficial and lucky we are to have access to it,” junior Brooke Mariner explained.

If generation z utilizes technology to benefit society, they can truly shape and transform the world.

“The smarter we get with technology, the more advances we will have and our society will benefit,” senior Jaylen Clark stated.

Here at CHS we are generation z. The future. According to the Washington Post, ” they don’t just represent the future, they’re creating it.”

According to predictions and statements there is a lot of hope for Generation z, we have the power. The future is in our hands.

Gabby Douglas, Writer

Hi! My name is Gabby Douglas, and I am a junior at CHS. I love playing basketball and volleyball. And am happy to be a member of the newspaper staff!

• We R Generation Z

• We R Generation Z

• We R Generation Z

• We R Generation Z

• We R Generation Z

• We R Generation Z

• We R Generation Z

• We R Generation Z

• We R Generation Z

• We R Generation Z

Getting to the Bottom of Crowded Hallways

We R Generation Z