Girls Basketball Goes For Repeat

Adam Carroll and Ben Hall

It’s basketball playoff season, and the girls’ varsity team is once again in the mix to win the MPSSAA State championship. 

Last year, the Comets knocked off Walt Whitman, 49-46, to secure the State championship. It was the first time a CHS team had won a State title since 1996, when the girls lacrosse team won the championship.                

This season, they are in a good position to win another State championship. The Comets are 19-3 on the season and won the BCPS County Championship. 

The Comets beat the Pikesville Panthers 76-41 in the county championship. They were not trailing at any point in this game. They started the game ready to play, and it stayed that way throughout the game. 

In the first round of MPSSAA playoffs, the Comets played Western. In the game, senior Jasmine Dickey took the game over scoring 35 points and 28 rebounds. If it weren’t for her heroics, the Comets may not have won. Twelve of those points were from a 12-1 run at the end of the game, which sealed a 61-47 victory. Dickey also had some key rebounds which also helped ice the game. 

“It’s all about patience, taking our time and making sure we execute. I told them that the rest of this game is all about rebounding. We need to box out and get rebounds and we will win this game,” Dickey told her team late in the game 

In the second round of the playoffs, the Comets played Howard. It was a very close game with 9 ties and 7 lead changes. The final score was 56-54. Dickey was once again an X-factor, scoring 25 points, 16 of which were in the final 13 minutes. She also blocked the final shot by Howard as the buzzer sounded off. Dickey also scored her 2000th point in that game and now is the leading scorer in Baltimore County history. 

“It feels great and means so much because I know that I’m the only Comet who has ever done it, and it feels good to join that club and represent my family, all my coaches, and my teammates,” Dickey said. 

It was certainly an accomplishment, considering how rare it is for a high schooler to get 2,000 points. 

“I’m happy she reached a milestone that only 10 other players in Maryland have achieved,” coach Mike Mohler said. 

In the Regional Championship, the Comets crushed Paint Branch to clinch the regional title. Dickey sat out for a good chunk of the first half because she was in foul trouble. Another senior stud, Jameila Barrett, stepped up and scored 13 points in the first half. 

In the second half, Dickey came back in, and she was completely lights out. She scored 26 points after only scoring 2 in the first half. 

Dickey’s stats this tournament are in the stratosphere. In just three games, she had 88 points and 59 rebounds. 

“She’s a leader in every sense of the word, on and off the court,” Mohler said. 

When asked on what her motive has been behind these games, she said, “It’s my senior year and I want to go out with a bang, not only for myself but for my coaches, my teammates, and the Catonsville community. I want to get another ring before I leave and be able to say we did it not once but twice.” 

The stage is now set for the Comets to try and repeat their State championship. On Thursday, they will face off Bethesda Chevy Chase in the state semifinals. If they win, then they will compete in the Championship game against the winner of the game between Eleanor Roosevelt and North Point. 

“I think we will win it all. I feel as though we are more than ready for any other challenge put in front of us. We have amazing players on our team who can be generals on the floor, make plays, and get us buckets. If we go out with the same intensity we had in the last 3 games, we will be good,” Dickey said.   

Adam Carroll, Staff

Hi, my name's Adam, and I'm currently a junior. This is my second year writing for the Comet and, in my spare time, I love keeping up with sports  and...

Ben Hall, Staff

Hi I am Ben Hall. I am in the class of 2019 at Catonsville High. This is my second year in on The Comet staff. My main interest to write about sports.

• Girls Basketball Goes For Repeat

• Girls Basketball Goes For Repeat

• Girls Basketball Goes For Repeat

• Girls Basketball Goes For Repeat

• Girls Basketball Goes For Repeat

• Girls Basketball Goes For Repeat

• Girls Basketball Goes For Repeat

• Girls Basketball Goes For Repeat

• Girls Basketball Goes For Repeat

• Girls Basketball Goes For Repeat

Getting to the Bottom of Crowded Hallways

Girls Basketball Goes For Repeat