The Death of the NCAA

The Death of the NCAA

Jack Corcoran, Staff

With Tuesday’s NCAA ruling of removing Notre Dame’s 21 football victories from the 2012 and 2013 seasons because of supposed academic fraud, one thing is clear: it’s time to realize that the NCAA’s days of dealing out unfair punishments and taking advantage of student athletes are numbered.

Trying to compare the recent University of North Carolina’s punishment in their academic fraud case in comparison to Notre Dame’s shows that the NCAA’s decision on ND is outrageous. North Carolina’s coaches and administrator’s faked entire course loads for dozens of student athletes for years and never reported it until the NCAA discovered it. Notre Dame, meanwhile, had an assistant athletic trainer complete a few courses for four Notre Dame football players until the administration found out.

Once Notre Dame found out, they immediately reported it to the NCAA, suspended the football players, and immediately accepted their punishment of disassociating itself from the athletic trainer, and agreeing to a $5,000 fine. Also, not to mention that they painstakingly went through the players’ grades and recalculated them so that their grades consider that they cheated their way through the courses, therefore failing them and making them academically ineligible for the 2012-13 seasons.

Meanwhile, North Carolina, whose investigation lasted for years, got no punishment on the grounds that they couldn’t tell UNC how to teach. Notre Dame, meanwhile, on top of the punishments listed above, was forced to vacate their 2012 and 2013 wins. What the NCAA is doing, in retrospect, is levying different punishments for the same crime.

Father John Jenkins, the president of ND, called the process “perverted,” and he is 100% right. However, his three-page strongly worded letter after the rulings that pretty much amounted a giant middle finger in priest terminology, means something much bigger. The NCAA just lost Notre Dame. The only point that the NCAA is making here is that if schools don’t want to be punished, then you shouldn’t do the right thing and report it to them immediately, if at all.

While Notre Dame might not be the football giant of the past, they still hold a lot of influence over the world of college athletics. They still have enough of a pull among fans across the country to be NBC’s ONLY college football product, compared to even Alabama that gets relegated to ESPN2 or the SEC networks. This means that tens of millions of people still consider themselves “subway” alumni and watch the Irish on Saturdays. The ACC, home of recent national champion Clemson and powerhouse Florida State, is still practically begging for Notre Dame to become a full-time member.

So, while this ruling is rough for Notre Dame in the present, how they handled the scandals at UNC, Baylor, and Penn State compared to this one will prove even more detrimental to the NCAA in the long run.

Jack Corcoran, Staff

Hi! My name is Jack Corcoran, and I'm a junior here at CHS. This is my third year here, so obviously this class is a blast! With more experience now, I...

• The Death of the NCAA

• The Death of the NCAA

• The Death of the NCAA

• The Death of the NCAA

• The Death of the NCAA

• The Death of the NCAA

• The Death of the NCAA

• The Death of the NCAA

• The Death of the NCAA

• The Death of the NCAA

The Death of the NCAA