Snow Days Pile Up

Snow Days Pile Up

Katie thor Straten, Staff

As the third quarter is halfway done, students and faculty are up to their necks in stress. Thankfully, mother nature decided that we deserved a break and gave us a lot of time off. But what are the effects?  

At the start of the year, BCPS planned for the school year to end June 15 and budgeted 45.5 hours in the schedule for weather-related closures. Due to snow and ice, BCPS has used a total of 39 hours. These were made up of 5 2-hour delays, 1 early dismissal, and 4 whole days off. As of February 8, the school system only has one full day left. 

“If we exceed the allotted snow days are built into the calendar, they could extend the school year,” assistant principal Annie Kress explained. 

With all these days off, teachers can get way behind in their schedules. With most of these delays and off-days being on B days, these classes are almost a week behind A days.  

“My B days are definitely more behind, and my teachers are more stressed,” junior Aidan Lang said. 

The days off caused a lot of problems due to them being near the end of the second quarter. There were a lot of things going on with putting in re-dos, late work, and new work into the grade book. 

“I noticed the teachers getting more upset with the students turning in late work. Instead of turning papers in a week or two before the end of the quarter, they turned them in just a day or two before,” sophomore Gracelin O’Malley said. 

On the other hand, many students see the day as an opportunity to sleep in, watch TV, and hang out with their friends. 

“I’ve been crazy busy with school and after school activities, so having a day off to see my friends was really nice,” junior Kayla Sloan said. 

Again, this can bring more trouble and stress into students’ lives.  

“My B days classes were already bad with stress, but with the teachers and my classmates being stressed, I was even more stressed,” junior Nicole Gunderson laughed. 

Sometimes cancellations and delays are called before the weather turns for the worst. It is always a possibility for BCPS to be wrong. Even though some are disagreeable, these hours off are thoroughly thought through. BCPS has their own rules, Rule 6303, and regulations to decide. 

“The county does the best job that it can to make the decision to close schools based on a number of different factors,” Ms.Kress expressed. 

Not all students and their families agree with the call. 

“I think the day [January 5th] that was super icy should have been completely off. I heard of too many people slipping, falling, and getting hurt,” Gunderson explained. 

BCPS only has one day left for snow, and, if students don’t want to go into summer, they better hope mother nature lets up on the wintry weather. 

Katie thor Straten, Writer

Hello! My name is Katie thor Straten, and I am a junior on the newspaper staff. I enjoy writing, reading, and making art. I take this class because I want...

• Snow Days Pile Up

• Snow Days Pile Up

• Snow Days Pile Up

• Snow Days Pile Up

• Snow Days Pile Up

• Snow Days Pile Up

• Snow Days Pile Up

• Snow Days Pile Up

• Snow Days Pile Up

• Snow Days Pile Up

Snow Days Pile Up