How to Keep Your New Year’s Resolutions

Eden Beyene, Staff Writer

Many have conflicting feelings on New Year’s resolutions: on one hand, you want to be a better person, on the other, it’s nearly impossible to quit your coffee addiction. This isn’t without reason: resolutions usually involve a state of discomfort, and humans have a natural drive to avoid such situations (think of maintaining homeostasis).

Fight this impulse; don’t let this year’s resolutions go by January 2nd. Follow these tips to stay on track.

1. Make a schedule

Many resolutions require structure: whether you want to start working out or study more, you’ll need consistency.

“I’m a very big planner… I know that helps a lot [with resolutions],” said sophomore Sofia Brouse.

A schedule is a great way to keep up. Plan out when you will complete your resolution each day so that time is not a reason for dropping it. Write it down to make it official and reduce your chances of forgetting. Put it somewhere that you will see every day as a reminder. And, more importantly, stick to it.

2. Get family support

Your family is a great asset to help you along this journey; tell them about your resolution. They can encourage you to follow through with what you’re are trying to accomplish. They can also make it easier for you at home: if you are trying to lose weight, maybe your parents can serve more fruits and veggies. It’s a great idea to have more people on your side.

3. Wear a reminder

You might want to stop an impulse such as biting your nails or grinding your teeth. In this case, wearing a bracelet or tie around your finger will act as a constant reminder. Whenever you see it, you’ll become conscious of what you’re doing and might catch (and stop) yourself in the act.

4. Substitute what you want to quit

You might have a coffee or gum addiction that you have to shake. In this case, use a substitution to curb your appetite. For example, healthy mints can become your new chewing gum, and make tea in the morning to wake you up. This way, you can stop an addiction without completely suffering from withdrawal.

5. Work in increments

Keeping a resolution is hard work; don’t expect to be a changed person after the first week. Trying to drastically change your life in a small amount of time will just make you want to drop the resolution. Set small goals to work towards each week or month, and don’t forget to pat yourself on the back after meeting them.

Junior Amanda Barber is an advocate for this strategy. Breaking up her goals makes them “easier to obtain…It gives me confidence,” said Barber.

Junior Lynny Luu has also found success in this strategy. In order to help pay for a family member’s surgery, she made a resolution to save some money. She started by saving hundreds of dollars, but it later became thousands; she completed her goal. Although your resolution may not be as grand, applying this concept may help you enjoy the same success.

Ultimately, don’t give up hope. It won’t be a piece of cake to keep a resolution, but nothing will change unless you are consistent. Have a positive mentality and tough it through; you will be happy with your results.

• How to Keep Your New Year’s Resolutions

We R Generation Z

Avengers ‘Infinity War’: Is It Really That Good?

How to Slam those AP Exams!

A Student’s Guide to Water Bottles

How to Keep Your New Year’s Resolutions