Ugly Sweaters of 2017

Katrina Bucher and Katie thor Straten

It’s December, folks, and you know what that means: holiday parties are around the corner, and you need something perfectly imperfect to wear. The fad of ugly sweaters has been around for decades, and this year is no exception. There are different ways to interpret “ugly sweaters.”  They can go down the road of festive, offensive, or funny.  

It doesn’t have to be a challenge to find a good sweater. Thrift shops, department stores, and online retailers have plenty of cheap and stylish options.  

“I always go to Goodwill and find one for a really good price,” stated freshman Nate Frenkel.  

A fun and creative way to grab everyone’s attention is to wear a DIY ugly sweater. Just find your typical Christmas tree sweater, and add a little pizazz by sewing on some bright and shiny ornaments. Or, go a little crazy with your electronic abilities and add some strings of lights. The possibilities are endless. 

“Last year, my dad and I were able to attach a light up star to an old Christmas sweater, and it was really easy,” commented sophomore Lily Mellendick. 

Of course, you want to be careful this holiday season that the joke doesn’t go too far. In this particular political climate, it can be easy to push someone’s buttons.  For example, a fun and lighthearted joke would be a Christmas sweater that says “Have a Very Bernie Christmas,” but it may be a little too controversial to wear a sweater criticizing Hillary Clinton for her email scandal. Use your best judgement this year, and keep everyone’s thoughts and feelings in mind. 

“People should definitely be careful about including politics in their sweaters. It’s a slippery slope,” explained junior Anish Gandhi. 

Of course, nothing beats a good ole out of the blue sweater. Try to get a feel for something new with your humor this season, whether it be a “Stranger Things” themed sweater or just an evil gingerbread man. These holiday parties can be the perfect time to show people what a great sense of humor and wit you actually have, so go for it. 

“My uncle always comes over for Christmas in these crazy, obscure sweaters, and it’s the funniest thing ever,” stated junior Robbie Gorey. 

All in all, ugly sweaters are a fun and enjoyable tradition to all, but there are some things you have to take into account when deciding what kind to go with. The most important thing is making people laugh, so be smart and have a lovely, ugly sweater party this Christmas.   

• Ugly Sweaters of 2017

How to Keep Your New Year’s Resolutions

• Ugly Sweaters of 2017

Expectations for the Last Jedi

• Ugly Sweaters of 2017

Crazy Candy Cane Flavors Take Over Christmas

• Ugly Sweaters of 2017

Preview & Predictions for Star Wars Episode 8: The Last Jedi

• Ugly Sweaters of 2017

Alum Visit for 3rd Annual Career Day

• Ugly Sweaters of 2017

The Journey with Braces

• Ugly Sweaters of 2017

Best Places to Eat on Frederick Road

• Ugly Sweaters of 2017

How to Do Tgiving Vegan-Style

• Ugly Sweaters of 2017

Spirit Week 2017 Recap

• Ugly Sweaters of 2017

Comets Fall to Kenwood in Homecoming Match-Up

Ugly Sweaters of 2017