Spirit Week 2017 Recap

Maddie Clarke, Staff

One week of the school year that everyone at CHS looks forward to is Spirit Week, a time where every grade can come together and show their school spirits.

Spirit Week usually falls on the week before Homecoming, and everyone gets to dress up to show their school spirit. Lots of students like to get creative with these outfits, especially with days like Character Day and Throwback Day.

“I really liked the idea of Character Day, and I want to see that again next year,” junior Mackenzie Jones said.

Despite the rumors of cancellation, Spirit Week was held from October 23 to October 27 this year. Many students believed when the school year began that CHS would not be having a Spirit Week because of the spray paint incidents last year. Staff and administration reassured the rumors were not true, and just like every year, students would have Spirit Week.

“I’m glad we have it this year, but they should add more to the week because it’s dry,” junior Laila Cooper said.

The week started off with the classic Class Color Day, but many did not dress up for this day. The students who did dress up went all out with their class colors.

“I love Class Color day [be]cause each grade showing love for the grade they’re in,” sophomore Devin Bartells explained.

On Tuesday, CHS celebrated Character Day. Students were given the chance to express their creativity and dress up as their favorite character from a TV show, movie, book, or comic. Wednesday was Throwback Day, a day where students can dress similarly to people of a different era, and Thursday was Wacky Tack Day.

There was some controversy among students about these two days needing to be switched.

“I just wrote the days we were going to have in order and assigned them to a day in the week I couldn’t change it after the schedule already came out,” Spirit Week and homecoming coordinator Summer Miller explained.

Friday was reserved for School Color Day, which allowed everyone to show their school spirit for the pep rallies. Many students painted their face and doused themselves in gold, blue, and yellow.

“I hope people with painted faces will know they will probably still have it when they go to Homecoming,” senior Jason Wheeler said.

The decorated halls this year were not seen by many, but students enjoyed creating the halls and were disappointed they were taken down so early in the day.

“I think decorating the halls is a waste of resources if you’re just going to take it down; we should do decorations on the windows or something,” science teacher Dr. Danielle Rivera expressed.

Students were generally well-behaved this year, and we had no major incidents related to tagging, paint, spray paint, or violence. But, like every year, the “Go home, Freshman” chant was present at the

lunches. Many teachers like assistant Michelle Landon tried to control the chants and explain how it was an act of bullying, but many students did not listen.

“Of course, I understand why the teachers would think it’s bullying. When you’re a freshman it’s awkward, but it’s a part of the initiation in the school, everyone has fun,” junior Emily Ames explained.

Wheeler went all out on class color day with a large hate made out of red solo cups with a matching staff to go with; he got a lot of attention from other students. For his senior year, he decided to end his time at school with a bang.

“There were people who didn’t do anything at all, there were people who casually dressed, then people who went all out, people like me,” Wheeler said.

Overall, students really showed their school spirit this year, and those who didn’t hopefully have an opportunity to step it up next year.

“The only extra people during Spirit Week are the ones who don’t dress up,” Ames expressed.

• Spirit Week 2017 Recap

Tgiving Dinner: Home vs. Going Out

• Spirit Week 2017 Recap

Comets Fall to Kenwood in Homecoming Match-Up

• Spirit Week 2017 Recap

Mixed Farmhouse Greens Review

• Spirit Week 2017 Recap

Top 10 Costume Ideas for Hijabis

• Spirit Week 2017 Recap

Spirit Week Traditions, Rules an Annual Concern

• Spirit Week 2017 Recap

High Schoolers and Their Lack of Sleep

• Spirit Week 2017 Recap

New CHS Fall Play: ‘The Diary of Anne Frank’

• Spirit Week 2017 Recap

Go Home Freshmen: Tradition or Torment?

• Spirit Week 2017 Recap

Top Ten Halloween Costumes for 2017

• Spirit Week 2017 Recap

‘American Horror Story: Cult’ Review

Spirit Week 2017 Recap