Comets Fall to Kenwood in Homecoming Match-Up

Ben Hall, Staff

After an embarrassing loss against Milford, the Comets headed into their 9th game of the season against Kenwood with a 1-7 record. The Comets struggled on both sides of the ball against Milford. Scoring only 7 points makes it very hard to win a game. But giving up 65 points makes it even harder. 

The Comets looked to get passed that game. With hard practices, the players seemed ready for the game. The players knew they needed to play well with the stadium filled for the Homecoming game. They had a film day on Monday, full padded practices on Tuesday and Wednesday, and a walkthrough on Thursday. 

Without quarter back Davonta Holland again, this game would be tough. He is still recovering from the concussion he suffered against Franklin. Kenwood had a record of 3-5 heading into this game. The Comets knew that they could compete with Kenwood.  Kenwood did not have a very big team compared to some of the previous teams the Comets had played.   

This was a very winnable game for the Comets. They just needed to come together as a team and play hard on both sides of the ball. They had also been having problems coming out of halftime with a chip on their shoulder and still playing hard.  This game was a must win for the Comets. Going into this game they only had one win and there were only two games left in the season.

Most of their games have been a close game at halftime but they let it get away from them in the second half.  They started off the game very well. The Comets scored first in this game. Mid way through the first quarter, they threw a 30-yard touchdown pass. With the extra point this put the score at 7-0. 

But the injuries continued to hurt the Comets. While the Comets were on their first defensive drive, Maxim Wangari suffered an injury. After the offensive linemen was pulling around to block him, he pushed Maxim to the ground then fell on him. 

“I heard the pop and when I tried to lift up my arm I could hear the snap. I knew something was wrong,” Wangari said. But Wangari was pleased with how the Comets were playing when he left the game. He thought they would win. 

“The offense was not doing very well, but the defense was picking them up. We forced a couple of turnovers,” he explained.

The Comets forced a turnover which gave them the ball near their own 40-yard line.  But after a few penalties, they turned the ball over on downs. Kenwood did not do much with the ball. Kenwood had to punt on 4th and about ten. This punt placed the Comets inside their own 20-yard line. After a penalty, Kenwood tackled the Comets in their end zone for a huge loss and safety. Kenwood came closer putting the Score at 7-2.  This sent the game into the second quarter.  

After a good punt return from the safety, Kenwood scored. They failed on the two-point conversion. This put the score at 8-7.  But the rest of the half both teams struggled on offense. Neither team scored for the rest of the third half.  With no scores in the second quarter, the score at halftime was 8-7. 

Kenwood came out of halftime ready to play. They scored on the first drive of the second half and converted on the 2-point conversion which made the score 16-7. 

The Comets offense continued to struggle in the second half and Kenwood took advantage. Kenwood forced an interception and returned it for a touchdown. The two-point conversion put the score at 24-7.  

The Comets went into the 4th quarter down 17 points. But their offensive struggles continued in the fourth quarter as well. The Comets were shut out in the fourth quarter.  

Kenwood scored another touchdown which gave them a 23-point win. The final score was Kenwood 30 Comets 7.  

After the game Maxim Wangari found out his injury was season-ending. He suffered a broken collarbone. 

“I had a much better season then I thought I would personally. I started at Defensive end and led the team in sacks. But I am disappointed my season ended due to injury,” Wangari said.

This loss put the Comets record at 1-8. Their final game of the season will be at Perry Hall on November 3 at 6:00 pm. 

• Comets Fall to Kenwood in Homecoming Match-Up

Tgiving Dinner: Home vs. Going Out

Spirit Week 2017 Recap

Mixed Farmhouse Greens Review

Top 10 Costume Ideas for Hijabis

Spirit Week Traditions, Rules an Annual Concern

High Schoolers and Their Lack of Sleep

New CHS Fall Play: ‘The Diary of Anne Frank’

Go Home Freshmen: Tradition or Torment?

Top Ten Halloween Costumes for 2017

‘American Horror Story: Cult’ Review